Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RH8 / PSP 6.40 messages

Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

RH8 / PSP 6.40 messages

Hey all, I'm have a slight problem on my latest server. It is a ML370G3 server running RH8 using the 2.4.20 kernel. Is has an internal 20/40 DAT drive (yeah yeah..) on the embedded SCSI port.
When there is NO tape in the drive, I get these messages non-stop printed to the terminal and to /var/log/message:
Aug 10 04:04:44 fs kernel: (scsi0:A:6): 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)
Aug 10 04:04:59 fs kernel: (scsi0:A:6): 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 7, 16bit)

I had this same problem is PSP 6.30, and could never solve it so we stuck with the 6.20 agents. I found if we stop the CMASTOR service the message goes away.
I know this is mostly a cosmetic issue since everything works fine, but it's a pain in the butt when i'm trying to work on the console and have messages popping up all the time.

Any help would be appreciated!
3 REPLIES
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: RH8 / PSP 6.40 messages

BLEH... can't type... monday morning. The 2nd paragraph was supposed to be:

I had this same problem IN PSP 6.30
-NOT-
I had this same problem is PSP 6.30

Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Hello.

You probably already have been down this path, but have you had a look at

man 8 stinit and man 4 st

and perhaps the command mt has some effect ?

mt -f /dev/st0 reset

perhaps this could be solve prior to booting on the scsi controler setup "usualy ^c"

and also perhaps by crafting the service startup you could redirect error to /dev/null ?

I know theses are just vague pointers, but perhaps it will get you in the right direction.

It also seems that there could something like a CMASTOR setup/conf file that pools the scsi device to see if there a tape in there ?

I know nothing of CMASTOR.

Hopefully some of this will be helpfull.

J-P

Smile I will feel the difference
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

I'll take a look at those. CMASTOR is part of the HP/COMPAQ Proliant Support Paq for Linux. It's health and monitoring agents so we know how the servers are doing, and let us know whats failing / pre-failing. All that good stuff!