1748069 Members
5477 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RH9 issues on Presario 2500

Anshuman_2

RH9 issues on Presario 2500

Hi,
I just managed to install RH9 on my new Presario 2500, but it freezes while booting when it's "searching for new harware". I froze while lodaing ohci1394 too, but found the answer for that problem here on the list.

Any clue how do I get around this problem?
Also which display driver should I select from the list. I have Radeon IGP 345 here.
5 REPLIES 5
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Take a look at:

http://natura.di.uminho.pt/~jac/deliverables/htmls/redhat9oncompaq2500.html

Red hat actually has a couple of problems with the ohci 1394 firewire hardware on many computers. In addition to using nofirewire as a boot parameter, you also frequently need to turn off the kudzu (hardware checking) service in the services list. To boot successfully (in order to turn off kudzu), I suggest you select the i (interactive) option during boot to confirm each service that Red Hat wants to start. If your keyboard doesn't respond during boot (mine doesn't) you will also need to use the nousb parameter at boot>

You might also want to look at my site describing Red Hat 8/9 on an HP ze4100:

http://www.cybersym.com/pages/linux-ze4100.html

Most of what you find there is applicable to the Compaq Presario 2500 series, and there is an extensive discussion of RadeonIGP graphics.

Bruce
Anshuman_2

Hi Bruce,
I did manage to do what you said, but now the system freezes while shutting down on "Stopping PCMCIA : shutting down Kernel services ". The system boot is fine.

Any clues? Thanks.
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, that occurs on quite a few HP Compaq notebooks. It mostly seems to happen on ones with the AMD processor (I'm sure it's the motherboard used with the AMD and not the processor itself). The only solution I know of is to turn off the pcmcia service. (That's only a problem if you use PCMCIA ).

Bruce
Manoj Kumar A
Advisor

During the system booting, tap on +'I' key, which will take to interactive bootup. say no for the "new hardware check" and you will be able to boot in. After booting in, remove the new hardware check from the service config. by doing so it will never check for new hardware during boot up.

kind Regards
Manoj Kumar A
Joe Jared

I found it to be a disaster upgrading from Redhat 7.3 to 9.0, but in the end, the main solution has been to install a new kernel, 2.4.30. I'm in the process of making an RPM for it, i686 and kernel-source only, and it will be on http://www.oretek.com/kernels/ when it's done. It solved the following problems:

ehci-hcd now properly handles the usb2 port
ohci1394 now properly loads
kudzu runs properly

Unfortunately, you have to edit /etc/init.d/pcmcia and remove the .o's