1752687 Members
5351 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RHEL AS4.0 installation problem on rx7640

Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Well, you're reduced to going back to media to get into rescue.

If my suspicion is correct, it's not loading the drivers for the SCSI controller from the initrd.

I still think you should download the latest kernel from Redhat, but install it from the rescue mode (assuming it can succesfully mount your /boot and / filesystems).
One long-haired git at your service...
arkie
Super Advisor

Stuart my big question is how do i get the rescue mode from the media. Disk 1 does not show any option besides 'Re-install'. Is it by passing 'linux rescue' at the ELILO of the media
arkie
Super Advisor

i could get into the rescue mode from Installation media 1. Then i did 'e2label /dev/sda5 /' becoz my / was /dev/sda5 during installation and rebooted. But its the same place. If the SCSI drivers are not being loaded, how can that be done
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

did u label /boot?
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

When in rescue mode, do an 'lsmod' to find out what drivers are loaded.

It should be fairly straight forward as to which one is your SCSI drivers.

Once you've done that, chroot to the rescue environment, and check the contents of '/boot/initrd-2.6.9-5.EL.img':

gzip -cd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-5.EL.img | cpio -vit

Under the 'lib' directory, you should see things like 'ext3.ko'. The SCSI driver listed from the 'lsmod' should be listed here also. If it isn't, then you need to re-generate the initrd.

Thankfully, this is pretty simple.

Make sure there's a matching 'alias scsi_hostadapter' matching this driver, then use the 'mkinitrd' command to regenerate the initrd.
One long-haired git at your service...
arkie
Super Advisor

In rescue mode, before chroot, lsmod shows "mptscsih" - guess this is the one.

Then initrd-2.6.9-5.EL.img, this file was not in /boot by default. I copied it from /boot/efi/efi/redhat/

I did "gzip -cd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-5.EL.img|cpio -vit" as u said, but there was no ext3.ko under lib. It was in /lib/modules/2.6.9-5.EL/kernel/fs/ext3. Again i copied that to /lib. Further there is nothing like "mptscsi". There is one "mptscsih" directory at /lib/sys/modules. Should i copy again.

Pls guide me a little more on this and how to mkinitrd after that
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

In my case i was compiling the lpfc driver to this kernel.From my memory

i modified /etc/modules.conf

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.9-e.59smp.img 2.4.9-e.59smp

reverted change on /etc/modules.conf.