Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHL to HP-UX 11.23 telnet is very slow

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amit Agarwal_1
Trusted Contributor

RHL to HP-UX 11.23 telnet is very slow

I have two systems one Linux (RHL 3.0 AS) and HP-UX (11.23 PA), both freshly installed system. When I try to do telnet from Linux to HP-UX, its responding very slow. takes more than a minute to give login prompt.

Any help?

Additionaly, how to disable firewall on Linux boss?
5 REPLIES 5
Suraj Singh_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: RHL to HP-UX 11.23 telnet is very slow

Hi Amit,

This may be a reverse lookup problem.

On Linux machine, try "nslookup IP_of_HP_machine", and see the response time of the output.

What is the name resolution used in your environment? Depending on that, you might have to look at /etc/nsswitch, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts etc.

Regards
What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

it could be reverse look up problem. or the HP UX box routing information or DNS information is wrong. same could be true for linux box also.

from the shell prompt enter route and see whether it gives the output immediately, if not it means that system is trying to do DNS resolution and it is timing out.

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Amit Agarwal_1
Trusted Contributor

Please note that I use the IP address to telnet to HP-UX box. I don't use the hostname.

Linux box:
# nslookup
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

It takes about 10 seconds to give this output.

'route' command responds pretty quick.

/etc/nsswicth.conf file has the below lines (beside others)

#hosts: db files nisplus nis dns
hosts: files dns

There are three nameservers defined in /etc/resolv.conf, but none of them contains the information about the HP_MAC.

Is there any hint in above info?
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor
Solution

although you are trying to access the remote machine by IP address, if the remote machine is configured to do reverse lookup of your IP to name and it fails in that, then you will experience the issue.

try this: comment all three name server entries in /etc/resolv.conf and then try to access that machine. see the response

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Amit Agarwal_1
Trusted Contributor

Cool, commenting the nameservers name worked.
Thanks.
Amit