New Discussion юеВ

Re: RHL video error on a hp lh netserver---x86config file attached

SOLVED
Go to solution
channa
Occasional Advisor

RHL video error on a hp lh netserver---x86config file attached

Hi,

This is a continuation of my previous post on the same topic.

I have installed redhat linux 9 in the text mode, but the i get the video error when i type the startx at the command prompt.

The attachment contains the Xf86config file and the xfree86.o.log file which is the server out file.

somebody please help me on configuring the gui. I am new to this linux and don't know much about the xfree86 file.
7 REPLIES 7
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hi Channa,

Looking at your file shows that your system didn't configure video card, nor than screen.

Try to run redhat-config-xfree86, and set video card to trident 9000i, and screen to standard 800x600.

Please do no forget to assign points, it helps to know if our replies are of any help...

hth

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

Looks like problem with the driver that
cann't work with the graphic card.
Did you choose the driver for the card
or it's done automaticly?

You should check and use with driver
for your card and not the vesa (standart driver).

Caesar
channa
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanx for the insant replies. I am sorry about not mentioning the points.

As you know that i have installed linux in the text mode. so when i enter the command redhat-config-xfree86, i get the following error
*ddc probe returned with bogus values
id:none
name: none
HorizSync: none
VertSync:none
couldn't start X server. trying with a fresh configuration.

trying with card: vesa driver(generic)
Error, cannot start X server.

When i installed redhat linux 7.1 in the GUI mode, after the completion of the install, the graphics driver was not working. However in RHL 8 and 9, the GUI installations hangs during the loading of boot files.

Hence the text mode installation.

Please help me overcome this prblem.

Thanx
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Try to run the Xconfigurator or xf86config
or X --config
that should run tool for configure the X

Caesar
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hi Channa,

Well, everyboday complains that it is stupid to need X to configure X... This is what happens with redhat-config-xfree86...

Now you have 2 solutions :

1. The 'I m fed up' one : re-install linux using these parameters, and, from my experience, do not leave it until your X configuration is successfully tested (using this video card, then one screen after all up to the time test is successful, you may be jelped on looking behin your screen the stick which may hav vert sync and horizontal sync values).

2. The 'I want to fix by myself' one : edit your Xf86Config file, set up the screen part to :
monitor:
horizontal sync:30-55
vertical syns:50-120
name: S/T/56E/V (something like this), resolution 800x600.
Then for the video card, there are things you have to add (card name and type), and some options you can test to see if it get it work better : full manual for that is at :
http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/snapshots/3.9.18/doc/PostScript/trident.ps

Good luck

J
channa
Occasional Advisor

when i use X --config, i don't get any tool to configure the X instead i just get a display of various parameters like gamma f, screen name, weight etc.

there is no point in installing linux in the graphics mode becos, after the boot media testing, probing is done for mouse and monitor. Then again the following error appears

after the probing for monitor,mouse types, it tries to start the native xserver and after that i am getting the following error

" waiting for X server to start...log located in /tmp/X.log 1..2..3..4..5....X server started successfully. X server started, then failed. Attempting to start the vesa driver X server. waiting for server to start...log located in /tmp/X.log 1..2..3..4..5...x server started successfully.
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server": 1.0"
mini-wm: fatal IO error 2 ( connection reset by peer) on Xserver: 1.0: after 0 requests.....
install exited abnormally. sending kill signals"

i have tried changing the graphics card to s3 virge, changing to a different pci slot.

however, i have noticed that the bios gives errors when it is booted. it says some of the memory modules are not hp made. the LED light flash every 1 second and according to the manual we have to change it to hp made. but then again linux works perfect except for the video drivers.

also, the mouse pointer is visible it is in the shape of a rectangle.

i am trying to edit the xconfig file, but since i am not good at it..hope somebody can help me
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Channa,

Then I come back to Steven E Protter conclusion in one of your former posts. There seems to be a physical issue here.

The trouble with Linux, is that it uses 100% of the features anounced by manufacturers. So when a component is not as powerful as supposed to be, you may not have problem with a m$ OS, which uses 10/15 % of hardware capabilities, and be unable to install a Linux, which will try to probe for exact supposed capabilities.

It's not linked to Linux version, as you tried RH7x and 9.

Looking on the Net, I saw plenty of success installs with lh2 and Redhat, enven older versions (6.2), which seems to indicate that the trouble is specific to your machine.

I do not see other solution than trying manually in XF86Config to try moderators from the link I gave you, to lower what is aked to your video card and screen.
It's long and uneasy... or to change your video card to a classic one...

RGDS

J