-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 423111 Aug 15 10:10 php-imap-4.0.4pl1-9.i386.rpm
drwxr-xr-x 10 veb veb 4096 Aug 14 16:47 qpopper4.0.4
-rw-r--r-- 1 veb veb 2261992 Aug 13 09:21 qpopper4.0.4.tar.gz

# rpm -i *.rpm
package php-imap-4.0.4pl1-9 is already installed
[root@cabot-biz veb]# rpm -e *.rpm
error: package php-imap-4.0.4pl1-9.i386.rpm is not installed
#

I'm trying to install the imap package in hopes it contains pop-3 which I still can't get to work. What am I doing wrong here ???

Thanks and points for any help !
2 REPLIES
Tony Contratto
Respected Contributor

Re: RPM

Hi Vernon,

The php-imap rpm is imap support for the php scripting language. Are you looking to add support to php or just for the pop-3 daemons?

Is this a RedHat system? If so and you are just looking for the pop daemons, they are in the imap rpm which I think is 'imap-.i386.rpm' or imap-2000-.i386.rpm' if I remember correctly.

Also, in your command above to remove the rpm the correct syntax would only include the first part of the name of the rpm. So the command would be: rpm -e php-imap

You can also get a list of packages installed that include 'imap' in the name with the command: rpm -qa | grep -i imap

Hope this helps...
Tony
got root?
Vernon Brown_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: RPM

Thanks for your reply !!
I'm trying to get pop-3 working without reformat and reinstall of RedHat 7.1

Ron sent me a link that said pop-3 was part of the imap package. Was not able to install it as you can see above.

So I downloaded qpopper did the configure make and make install. All seemed to be well; there were no error messages and popper was installed in /usr/local/sbin which was a different location than that in the documentation. Also the inetd.conf entry in the documentation is not compatable with the xinetd.d method of RedHat 7.1.

I entered ipop3 entry in xinetd.d as per my previous post, but it did not get popper to start. No error messages, just didn't start.

So that's where I'm at. Just trying to get email to work.