1752803 Members
5524 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid for Redhat

Simon_81

Raid for Redhat

Hi All,
I have an LC2000r with a raid 5 array. I now need to increase the drivespace, I am receiving 3 new hard disks. Is there any software that I can run on the redhat box to allow me to configure the new drives without reboot? Or for that matter is there any sw for configuring the raid either way? or do i have to reboot and run the old ctrl+h(or M i can't remember).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreceiated

Simon
5 REPLIES 5
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

You've not said what RAID controller you are using, although I'm picking it's one of the M or Si series of cards.

Either way, you want the linux version of the 'megamgr' tool. There was a post here a few weeks ago about the 'dell' tools for the controller management. I beleive those tools should work as well (they don't look for Perc specifically, but the AMI RAID controller chipset which both the Perc and the M/Si series are based upon (except for the 4M)).

They do require a given version of the kernel drivers unfortunately (greater than 0.15 or something), but they are provided with any RH kernel after the 7.1's.

Anyway, I hope this helps you a bit.
One long-haired git at your service...
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor

Be aware that the megamgr tools do not work with the most recent version of the Red Hat kernel (any of the 2.4.20 versions).

I had to downgrade the kernel to 2.4.18-27-7-x before I could get any of the LSI Login Megaraid tools to work.

Check out

http://www.domsch.com/linux/

for info om the Megaraid tools (Dell-specific site, but should work with your RAID controller)

If you are using a different controller, please post the BIOS banner for it so we can better help you.

Thanks.
Simon_81

it is a 1si controller? Redhat 8 original kernel so that should be fine.
Can i just slam in the HD's while the server is up and use the SW to config the new raid then run fdisk and mkfs etc.. as normal?

Thanks for your promt reply's, great service!
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor

I think you will need to back up your partition, then delete it from the raid manager interface and re-create it with the additional disks. I haven't tried it, but I suspect it will clear the disks, forcing you to put a new filesystem on it. Then you can mount the new confiuration and restore from your backup.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

If you want to add an "Additional" logical drive, then yea, sure.

shove 'em in, config 'em up, mkfs and away you go.

If you want to expand the existing logical array, then you'll have to backup etc. like Bill suggested.
One long-haired git at your service...