Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw devices using Oracle8i

Andrew R.
Advisor

Raw devices using Oracle8i

We are planning to host a new database oracle8i (with replicator) and implement MCSG. The DBA mentioned that he's planning to use raw devices, I've set-up lots of clusters before but I never use the raw devices. Does any one has any experience in this field, Is it a must or preferrable to use raw devices and how ?

Thanks for your help
Live for the infinity life
6 REPLIES
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Raw devices using Oracle8i

Andrew,

click on "search" to the left under IT Resource Center and enter this in the search string:

+oracle +cluster +raw +disk

Make sure to click on the "FORUMS" radio button.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Graham Cameron_1
Honored Contributor

Your DBA is a masochist.
Searching the links as suggested by Harry will show that the disadvantages of raw disks far outweigh the benefits.
I know, I've been there.
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
MARTINACHE
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Your DBA will certainly say that raw devices run faster than filesystem.
That's right some times ago.

In an MCSG cluster, I prefer filesystem with "mincache=direct" option of mount.

This option disable LVM cache (this is what you do when you use raw device).

In order to use thgis option, you must have "online JFS", a product that you should purchase in a MCSG cluster.

Regards,

Patrice
Patrice MARTINACHE
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

Not so dificult..., just a different way..
unsupported
Ron Gordon
Advisor

Using MCSG and oracle OPS you are required to use RAW devices. I am not sure about replicator. Once you use raw devices its easy. The hardest part is making sure the device partition size say 100M raw partition equals the tablespace size 100*1024*1000 - 2*db_block_size If you don't use this formula you will be wasting space in the 100M raw partition.
UNIXTEK
Frequent Advisor

Don't use raw devices. There is little or no advantage,only an administration nightmare.