4917 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Read DVD burned on IA-32 system on a Unix server/workstation CDROM drive

Roopam Narayan
Occasional Advisor

Read DVD burned on IA-32 system on a Unix server/workstation CDROM drive

Hi,

I have a DVD RW on a IA-32 PC & also a 4 CPU HP-UX 11 server & HP-UX 11 workstations(b & c class) in my network.
Can a burn a CD on the DVD drive on a IA-32 system & then use the same on my workstations & server running Unix?
5 REPLIES 5
Roopam Narayan
Occasional Advisor

Re: Read DVD burned on IA-32 system on a Unix server/workstation CDROM drive

Hi,

Can anyone help me on my question below.

March 20, 2002 14:52 PM GMT

----------------------------------------------Hi,

I have a DVD RW on a IA-32 PC & also a 4 CPU HP-UX 11 server & HP-UX 11 workstations(b & c class) in my network.
Can a burn a CD on the DVD drive on a IA-32 system & then use the same on my workstations & server running Unix?
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The answer to your question is yes, as long as the software on that cd is HPUX compatable software. The files will probably look strange when doing a listing (all caps, a ";1" at the ends of files, a "~" in the filename). I load software on my servers that was burned from a PC all the time and what I do is copy it from the cd to the hard drive by placing the filepath from the cd in quotes and renaming it to something recognizeable to UNIX.

Hope this helps

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Yes it should work. If you have the issue of filenames looking like FILENAME;1 FILENAME1;2 or something then you can try mounting the cd with the cdcase option.

# mount -r -o cdcase /dev/dsk/c?t?d0 /cdrom
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you should be able to read the CD in your HP-UX environment. But it depends on the format of the CD how good and comfortable this works.

There are afaik several versions of the ISO format with different filename and directoryname lengths. Also there are several extensions popular on Windows and Macintosh (Joliett and HFS i think).

Some older CD Drives will not support all those extensions and formats. With an older drive (single or double speed) you might not be able to use pfs_mount.

First i would try to mount the CD as usual with mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 /cdrom

If this works, but looks funny try the same with the -o cdcase option.

If the result still is not satisfying try to use the pfs_mount. Check this forum for pfs_mount and cd-rom. There are some good guidelines.

With a newer CD drive i have always been able to read the CD. Sometimes funny looking filenames but always readable.

Hope this helps

Regards Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

have to mention that the HP-UX cdrom format sensitivity pretty much sucks.. is something going to be done about this? Linux is years ahead of file system detection... surely it could be ported easily... (although I won't be the one to do it!)

Later,
bill
It works for me (tm)