4829 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reading CDR Media

Kirk MacLean_1
Occasional Advisor

Reading CDR Media

Have customers sending files on CDRs.
Cannot mount this media under either HP-UX 10.20 or 11.00.

Have exceeded all SWAG theories and must seek community help determining if it is possible to mount these CDRs. At this point it looks like the CDRs were written with an incompatible format.

Have had success loading CDRs known to be written as iso9660 using:
mount -o cdcase /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom

# nohup pfsd &
[1] 1750
# Sending output to nohup.out

# nohup pfs_mountd &
[2] 1753
# Sending output to nohup.out

# ps -ef | grep pfs
root 1750 1576 0 16:10:03 pts/0 0:00 pfsd
root 1754 1753 0 16:10:19 pts/0 0:00 pfs_mountd.rpc
root 1753 1576 1 16:10:19 pts/0 0:00 pfs_mountd
root 1756 1576 2 16:10:28 pts/0 0:00 grep pfs
# pfs_mount -o xlat=unix /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom
pfs_mount: giving up on /cdrom
# mount -o cdcase /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0: unrecognized file system
# pfs_mount -o xlat=unix /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom
# dosls /dev/dsk/c0t2d0:
Unrecognizable disc format on /dev/dsk/c0t2d0
dosls: can't open /dev/dsk/c0t2d0: for listing.

Thank you for any help.
8 REPLIES 8
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Have you tried the -t iso9660 option with your pfs_mount? this tells the system what type of cd you have. do a man on pfs_mount.

Good luck
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

If you do not know the format of the CD I suggest using pfs and trying alternative formats. You can specify this in the command line or in the /etc/pfs_fstab file. Standard formats are: iso9660, rrip, and hsfs.

Also, I note your pslisting does not include pfsd.rpc. This process is also required.
Kirk MacLean_1
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your response but still no luck.

Tried restarting pfsd using:
nohup pfsd 4 &

still no pfsd.rpc running on HP-UX 11.00 but it is on 10.20

Per suggestions:

# pfs_mount -v -t iso9660 /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom
Version: 2.9.1F (UNLIMITED) Built: Sat Oct 17 19:00:42 PDT 1998
# pfs_mount -v -t hsfs /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom
# pfs_mount -v -t rrip /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Take a look at the outputs nohup.out and your /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for any tell-tale signs - it might be that your rpc daemons are not all running.

Good luck
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

I do not have an 11.00 system to test on, I'm afraid, but I would be very surprised if the pfs functionality has changed tothe point that all four demons are not rquired, Do check nohup.out for error messages. You might find the key there. Alternatively, please try killing all running pfs demons and starting from scratch. I generall wait a couple of seconds (long enough to verify both processes start) between issuing the pfs commands:

nohup /usr/sbin/pfs_mountd &

nohup /usr/sbin/pfsd &
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The CD may have been written in Joliet format for which HP-UX has no solution. This is somewhat common if the source was from a PC platform. If you can dd some data from the raw disk device, then the CD is readable, just the format of the data is not compatible with the various formats HP-UX understands. CDR is a media and there are more than a dozen standards for writing on these discs. Just like a floppy, a CD may not be mountable because it has a foreign filesystem (maybe a Mac format?). Ask the creator what format they used to create the disc.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Kirk MacLean_1
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your help.

The only thing I can conclude is that Bill Hassell is correct. The cd's are in a non compatible formatt that can be read by SGI's unix but not HP's.
I would like to find some tool that will determine what format a cd is written in.

Kofi ARTHIABAH / Alan Riggs
Your messages helped get the pfsd.rpc running. Reading the nohup.out and the starting the pfsd before, instead of after pfs_mountd corrected this portion of the puzzle. Still no luck reading th CDR media.
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

Kirk,

If you just mount it using cdfs rather than pfs does that work?

Also, it might be worth just trying to dd from the rdsk of the cdrom drive as Bill suggested. It's possible that the cdrom drive can't read the cdr media, rather than hp-ux not being able to interpret it. I've never had a problem with sun/sgi/pc cdr's. Even joliet is physically readable (although you may hate what hp-ux does with it afterwards).