7520 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Received unhandled signal: 15

Leon Allen
Regular Advisor

I suspect just the system call :-(
Other processes in this category with kill are exit, fork, mlock........
Time's fun when your having flys (ancient frog saying)
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Given that the kill command uses the kill system call, auditing the system call is goodness. If it were only auditing the command that would leave the big gaping hole.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Simon Wickham_6
Regular Advisor

Hi Leon,

To receive a default signal (SIGTERM = 15) would mean it was issued by a user with top level access. I would begin by checking there are no cron jobs running.

Is this second crash at about the same time as the previous. Also check the the alert log.

Regards,
Simon
Leon Allen
Regular Advisor

Different times, 1st one 15:30; 2nd time 10:11.

Nothing what-so-ever in the alert log pertaining to this.

Specifically, what priviledged accout?

root, for sure.

Could the oracle account kill all the processes in a group?

Could another user, a member of the dba group, kill all the processes in a process group?

What is the best way to monitor / capture this info? (I've already turned auditing of kill process on through sam)

My gut feel is still it's a genuie crash - there are other cases of this problem on metalink - but no resolution for it detailed.

Cheers!
Simon Wickham_6
Regular Advisor

Hi Leon,

Do you have any core dumps or are there any Oracle ora- messagges. I would point out it may be worth now enabling tracing and going from there.

Regards,
Simon
Leon Allen
Regular Advisor

I have turned on some tracing, as per recommendations above, and waited for the problem to occurr again. Well, it has happened again (7/2/2006 14:11) - all oracle processes killed with sig 15. I am closing this thread and opening a new one in the hope of understanding what the auditing is telling me, and how I might take the next step towards resolving this problem.