108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Recommended frequency for reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jose Rafael Leal
Occasional Contributor

Recommended frequency for reboot

How often is it recommended to reboot your hp-ux server?
17 REPLIES 17
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Re: Recommended frequency for reboot

Hi,

We have some systems which have not been rebooted for quite some time. There is no hard and fast rule about rebooting.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Eileen Millen
Trusted Contributor

It depends on what they are being used for.
Our database servers get rebooted once a month before the month end work is done.
The servers used for user logins should probably be rebooted weekly.
The compute servers are up for many months at a time.

Eileen
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

A reboot is a subjective topic. My personal preference is once a quarter, you could coincide this with the install of the Bundled patch releases.

Do what works for you and your environment.

Good Luck,
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There is no rule as such. If the system is performing well I don't see any reason to reboot.

-USA..
Good Luck..
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

It depends....

Our SAP server was down at 31.12.1999 for Y2K change, came up again on 1.1.2000.
Actually it had a reboot two weeks ago for a bad disk (no HOT-plugs).
But beside this it has been up and up and up...

If you have an application, that has a memory-leak and no patches in sight, it may be needed to reboot every week.

Do not know if it helps
Volker
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Oh boy!!! You probably will get more responses to this than you really wanted!

Everyone has differnet ideas about this. Some will say do it on a regular basis (like monthly maybe), others will say don't reboot unless you have to.

There are HP-UX machines out there running that have been running for years without being rebooted. If your application is written well and there are no hardware issues and critical patches that you have to install, you can leave the machine up and not worry about it.

If your application is not written well and you start having memory issues, then you may have to reboot frequently. The thing to do there is to get the application corrected!

I'm sure you'll get lots of responses to this.

Have fun reading!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

As a rule, as long as it is working, you should leave it working i.e. do not reboot it. Servers are there to be as highly-avalaible as possible after all.

However, there are some philosophies which state that you can do a server good if you reboot it once in a while. I was taught to leave the server working if it's working like a champ. (I've read this expression "like a champ" from these forums and I'm starting to like it :-) )

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

If you have a well patched system with stable apllications software, the reboot frequency should asymtotically approach zero. In real life, I have had quite a few systems up for years without a reboot. The exception to this rule is software with memory leaks - the answer there is to fix the software. Your box should really only need to come down for periodic patch installation.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

This is Unix. If you do not have application's with memory leaks and you do not kill processes with 'kill -9' so that they have no chance to cleanup shared memory, then there should be little to no need to reboot unless it is for hardware maintenance or patch application which requires a reboot.

Regards!

...JRF...