1752707 Members
5607 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Recovery/System Disks

Doyle Sims

Recovery/System Disks

I agree with comments made by others about Windows XP and HP. It seems that when I get instructions to do something it calls for a recovery disk or system disk to finish the job. Without the disks the job doesn't get done. What is HP going to do about it.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Recovery/System Disks

Hi Doyle,
I'd like to give an assist if I could. I'd like to ask what "instructions to do something", What is it you are trying to to do that gives you instructions to do something? (. . . if you could be a little more specific). Douglas William
Growth as the result of accomplishing that which is not commonly attempted is achievement
HPtech_2
Advisor

I would like to help you with this. I have a HP system with windows Xp. Hp doesnot ship windows XP recovery CDs. It is in an hidden partition on the hard disk. This link below will help you.
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph07145

Goodluck
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

I think what Doyle is driving at, is....

why can't HP provide a direct solution to problems rather than requiring that the User "Recover" the system back to factory defaults.

I can see both sides....

From the End-User side:
You can't fix my problem. Fine... I've gone through the recovery, now I have to re-load all of my other software programs AGAIN.

From a support provider viewpoint:
How does a large company provide "quality" support to a world-wide User base, while keeping their costs at a minimum. Pat of that is to never chase a problem too long. If you can't find a solution within the HP or MS knowledge bases, recover the system back to a known working configuration.

HP What's your viewpoint?

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
rob yrob

Look for an \i386\ directory on your hard drive, either in C:\Windows\i386\ or C:\hp\i386\ - if the installer gives you an opportunity to browse to the location, it should be able to find the files there. This may only work on some systems with XP preinstalled.
Carl_32

My current NIGHTMARE started with a corrupted VGAoem.fon file that halted the boot process. How does one extract 1 file from the hidden distribution tracks to avoid having to restore the complete system. Because I could not do that from the command prompt, I had to restore. Now my external drive is present but not visible to the file system and my operating system will not upgrade to the SP1 level. I would not be in this fix if I had the CD distribution disk to do that file extract.

CJohnson