Re: Red Hat 9 video problems *points on offer*

SOLVED
Go to solution
jazz_1
Frequent Advisor

Red Hat 9 video problems *points on offer*

Hi Guys,

a simple for you I'm sure....

I'm running RH9 on a HP Brio, I stupidly changed the display settings in RH9 to 1024x768(it was just too big at 800x600) , when i rebooted i now get no video at the login screen? the green led on the monitor is on, It's like I'm getting an "out of range" signal.

Can I halt the boot process and change the display settings?

Cheers guys... don't foreget, point on offer :-)

jazz..
22 REPLIES 22
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Once you have the login, try to switch to the console with CTRL+ALT+F1, login and redo the graphic config with Xconfigurator.
Alternatevly, you can start the machine to run level three, so the graphics won't kick in and then the Xconfigurator.

hope that helps,

Michael
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Hey.There's no Xconfigurator utility under RedHat9.There's
redhat-config-xfree86
utility instead.Change the terminal like Michael advised-with Ctrl+Alt+F1, login,and then run it.Select the apropriate settings and save...
Best regards.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I got this advice from a collegue. However I didn't mention the version. Has there been an Xconfigurator before?

greetings,

Michael
jazz_1
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the replies guys, I'll give that a bash... will let you know how i get on :-)
jazz_1
Frequent Advisor

ok guys,

tried that, when i type in redhat-config-xfree86, i just get the same as before, the monitor goes out of range...

can i try anything else?

cheers
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

one thing you could try is to lend yourself from someone a monitor, which can handle the "stress" and then configure it back to where your monitor can handle it.

greetings,

Michael
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

I had similar problems with RH9 and a Sony SDM-S81R flat screen monitor. Problem was the default VertRefresh rate specification was too high.

Are you using the grub loader? If so, halt the boot when the grub screen comes up and edit your kernel line. Add the word 'single' to the end of your kernel line so you can boot into single user mode.

Then you need to edit the "Monitor" section /etc/X11/XF86Config file

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Sony"
ModelName "SDM-S81R"
HorizSync 28.0 - 92.0
VertRefresh 48.0 - 60.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

The numbers above are for my monitor, I'd suggest you take a look at the tech specs for your monitor.

I found that lowering the top end of the VertRefresh eventually fixed my "out of scan range" problem.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
jazz_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for help on this Michael,

Thing is this is the same monitor i use for win98 running at 1024x768 and 16 bit colour, so it should be able to handle it from Linux, shouldn't it?

Is there another way for me to change the resolution without being able to get into the X Configuration?

cheers
jazz_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jim,

thanks for your reply... I'm using LILO, can i do the same with that?

cheers