1753481 Members
5064 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RedHat 7.2 on ML350G4

Andreas Mavrides

RedHat 7.2 on ML350G4

We have just bought a ML350G4 with 641 SCSI controller and 2*72.8 GB drives in RAID1 configuration and I am trying to install Redhat 7.2, but the OS will not see the array. I have tried a linux update installation and I use the updates disk dated 18 Jan 2002, but still the same thing happens. Can anyone please help me, as it is important to have Redhat 7.2 on this server

Many thnaks

Andreas Mavrides
WaveSpeed
4 REPLIES 4
HGN
Honored Contributor

Re: RedHat 7.2 on ML350G4

Hi

The reason you cannot see the disks is that the driver for the Raid controller is not available on the OS CD. You need to get the driver disks created(download from HP site) and provide them when you are prompted.
The instructions will tell you what release(update)cd you have to use for loading the OS.

Rgds

HGN
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You won't like this answer but you should not install red hat 7.2 any more. If this server will be a production server, for database or something, use red hat enterprise linux (that you must buy). Otherwise you can use Fedora Core, current version is 4.

You should not use red hat 7.2 because packages and security updates are not available any more.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

it keeps on amazing me how many people are around that still want to install outdated stuff like rh7.2, even rh9 is more then 2 years old now!
and you know what, you can still download them _FOR FREE_ from the net, you should go for the latest release, or perhaps the previous but never something that old.

btw, the free redhat is now called fedora and the free copy version of redhat is called centos
Andreas Mavrides

Thanks for the advice guys. I managed to install redhat 7.2 by using the updates and drivers disks, the only thing left now is to install the bcm5700 ethernet driver.

Regarding the comments as to why use redhat 7.2, i explained that it is because of a peculiarity in a software that will run on this server. It has to be installed on rh 7.2, and after that the packages and kernel can be updated.

We normally use FC4 on user pcs and whitebox linux on production servers.