Operating System - Linux
1753556 Members
5543 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RedHat 7.3, XFree86 display problem on Pavillion 7955

Geoffrey S. Knauth

RedHat 7.3, XFree86 display problem on Pavillion 7955

I just put a second hard disk in my Pavillion and upgraded it to RedHat 7.3. The Pavillion has an nVidia TNT2 M64 card.

When X11 comes up, the left-hand third of the screen is black, and the X11 screen is offset that much to the right.
3 REPLIES 3
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: RedHat 7.3, XFree86 display problem on Pavillion 7955

Hello,

Did you chose the right monitor settings ?
Could you please post your X11 configuration file (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4) ?

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Geoffrey S. Knauth

I can't post the X11 config file at the moment because that machine is not on. However, I can say that yes, I did set the monitor setting correctly, that is, I used the values from the NEC LCD1530V manual. I had also used the default values in Xconfigurator. Same result.

The good news is that I went into the monitor's configuration screens (those little buttons at the bottom of the monitor), and adjusted the horizontal position of the screen 1/3-screenful to the left, and then it looked OK.

Prior to that, I had tried to use xvidtune, but with xvidtune I could only get the screen to get part of the way over to the left hand side before pressing LEFT would max out the HSyncStart value, at which point if I pressed NARROWER twice, suddenly the screen would be left-aligned correctly, just a bit on the narrow side. It was workable but was now missing about 1/16th a screenful (of black) on the right. That's when I went back to a vanilla config using Xconfigurator, accepting default values but specifying 32MB memory for the nVidia, and then used the manual buttons at the bottom of the screen to slide the screen over 1/3 to the left until it looked right.
Timothy_11

Wow, I just got a refurbed 7955, and 7.3 seemed to only come up with a blue screen at install - whether default gui or specified text install.

Did you do anything special to get it working in the first place?

(HP tech support simply told me that this model doesn't support linux - sheesh).

Thanks!