108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RedHat Linux 6.1 Networking

SOLVED
Go to solution
news groups
Occasional Advisor

RedHat Linux 6.1 Networking

Please Help. Am new to Linux, and when installing the GNOME workstation option as a networked station, I would assume the OS would recognize my NIC (NE2000). However, ifconfig doesn't show it (it shows only the lo loopback 127.0.0.1) and when I try to add the NIC as eth0, it is accepted but never activated on bootup (even though I choose that option). I can manually activate it after boot, but it's never "seen" by the system. I give it IP addresses and the whole 9 yards. This happens with computers with 1 NIC or up to 3 NICS. Really need the help, if anybody can. This applies to RedHat Linux 6.1.

Thnx
3 REPLIES 3
Jiri Furst
Advisor
Solution

Re: RedHat Linux 6.1 Networking

We used the ISA variants of NE2000 few years ago and if I remember well, the kernel was not able to identify
its irq and ioaddress. So we had to specify it in /etc/conf.modules (or may be through linuxconf).
But if you can do (as root) modprobe eth0 and the ne.o (or ne2k-pci.o for PCI card) loads (try lsmod), then it is not this case and the problem is elsewhere.
Mark W. Jeanmougin

This won't help you too much, but I've always used the Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 (which uses the 8255x controllers) in my Linux boxes. I started with these cards in the beginning of 1997 when you had to dl the driver seperate from the kernel. The cards have always worked great!

If you are having trouble getting your network card to work, it's well worth your sanity to invest in an Intel card.

(No, I don't work for or own stock in Intel :) )
Kjell Mesch_1
Occasional Advisor

The kernel is not able to detect ISA NE2000
So you have to give io address and IRQ as described by Jiri. So turn off PnP on the cards :)
If you want to have more then one card(eth0 and eth1) tools like linuxconf can't configure conf.modules the right way so you have to do it manually.
Linuxconf makes the file with the two cards but it's formatted the wrong way.

/regards Kjell
A good start is man man