Klake

Re: RedHat Linux 9 Installation problems

Linux is a piece of shi*. You can't even install it, how r u supposed to use it
Markus Hoeschen
Occasional Contributor

Meanwhile I have tried to install RH9 on my DL360 G3 from:

- cdrom (cd not found error???.)
- nfs (computer stopped responding in file copy process???[I???ve tried this 3 times].)
- ftp (computer stopped responding in file copy process???)

I haven???t tried to install via local HD image, cause I don???t want to spend the time???

Meanwhile I have installed RH 8. It works great.

I have absolutely no opinion why I can???t install RH 9 on may Compaq/HP DL 360.
Sometimes I think there is an ???if statement??? in the installation process:

if ( vendor = Compaq/HP and machine_ID = DL3xx ) then
{
#go and buy RH Server (or an other machine)
print ???CD Not found???;
loopUntilTheEndOfWorld;
}
else
{
installWithoutProblems;
}
Klake

hi. did u install linux 8.0 with a cd and u didn't not get that error???
Linda Ruiz
Advisor

Klake wrote
> hi. did u install linux 8.0 with a cd and u
> didn't not get that error???

I ran the CD test first, got the error "cd not found". I rebooted (ctrl+alt+del), typed in linux ide=nodma, skipped the test and it worked.

I did notice that while on RH9 it was attempting to use the dev/hda device, in RH8 it used the dev/cciss style of device. That is what loads. I suspect the problem is the hardware sniffer that runs before anaconda? determines dev/hda is for the cdrom, and loads that device. Then anaconda runs and determines it needs dev/cciss for the cd-rom drive and tries to access that mount point, which doesn't exist. BTW, I did try install RH9 using the option: "linux ide=nodma" to no avail.

Another thread of interest is here:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x05115ec05a7ad711abdc0090277a778c,00.html
Chris Price_2

I think you are all taking the wrong approach. Its as simple as a bug in the kernel.

I had the same problem on a dell 1650. It would install redhat 8 but not 9.

Here is an excerpt:

Why This Boot Disk is Needed: a. PowerEdge 1650: A bug was found in a kernel driver that causes the BOOT kernel, which is used by the Red Hat Linux installer, to not be able to mount a CD-ROM on the 1650. This boot disk has a BOOT kernel with a patched driver that will resolve this issue b. PowerEdge 4600: A bug was found in the aic7xxx SCSI driver that will cause PCI parity errors when the secondary Adaptec 7890 SCSI controller is enabled on the PowerEdge 4600. This boot disk has a BOOT kernel with a patch driver that will resolve this issue as well. c. PowerEdge 650: A bug was found in the CMD680 IDE controller driver in kernels lower than 2.4.20-16 that can possible prevent RHL9 from installing or cause data corruption on PowerEdge 0650. This boot disk has BOOT kernel with patched driver that allows you to install and kernel RPMs 2.4.20-16.9 with patched driver.

The link is here.
http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=DHS&Category=0&OS=LIN&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=PWE_PNT_PIII_1650&DeviceID=4396&Type=&ReleaseID=R61737

Good luck.
al_59

I have the same problem with our HP Proliant ML370 G3.

My workaround and very simple is to attached an external CD. I didnot used the internal CD drive at all.

I used Sony CD-R/CR-RW/CD-ROM 48x/12x/48x w/ usb connection and the installation went thru smoothly.

I think you can use any external CDrom and it will work fine.

You don't have to buy RH AS 2.1 for this installation to work......

al
Chris Price_2

The solution dell provided was a simple floppy disk download. Once I booted off the floppy, i was then able to install from the Redhat 9 cdrom and everything went smoothly from there.

I also was using the FREE version of Redhat 9 ie, the download, not the expensive AS 2.1.

Free server OS, free floppy disk download, no extra hardware to buy ie, an external cdrom... problem fixed.

Less than 15 seconds for download, 1 minute to write the floppy, one minute to boot the floppy. Problem solved.

This fix should work for ANY server. Its not a Dell specific fix.

I dont have an external cdrom and if i did i wouldnt want to use the server's usb1.1 connection... what a horrendously slow prospect that would be. usb 2.0 would be nice but why bother when i have a perfectly good cdrom built in to the server already.

Bottom line, if you have a new server, you shouldnt have to buy / use additonal hardware to make the d*mn thing work.
Victor Pendlebury
Valued Contributor

Chuck Kirk

I have a HP Prolient ML370. I hooked up an external USB CD drive and it finally started the install.
Greg Long_2
Occasional Contributor

I was able to getb redhat 9 working by booting with either the CD or boot floppy then using http to connect to a server where i had dumped all 3 cd's to.