New Discussion юеВ

RedHat Linux 9 Installation problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Markus Hoeschen
Occasional Contributor

RedHat Linux 9 Installation problems

Hello,

I have problems in installing Redhat Linux 9 on my HP Proliant DL360 G3 Server.

Here's the error message:
CD Not Found - The Red Hat Linux CD was not found in any ouf your CDROM drives.

On the console there is he following message: <4>Unable to identify CD-ROM format

I dont't know why this happens because:
- I'm booting fromReadHat Linux 9 CD 1
- RedHat Linux 9 shoud have support for the Smart Array 5i Controller, shouldn't it?
- If I use my CDs on an other systems everything is fine....

Can anyone help me???
Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Markus
36 REPLIES 36
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Re: RedHat Linux 9 Installation problems

Are you using HP tool (Smartstart?)?

Try to boot direct from RH CDROM -it should work.

Vitaly
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor

Try doing the following at the boot prompt:

linux ide=nodma

And see if that helps.
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

Probably in the installation image of
RH 9 no driver for your controler that
you CD-Rom connected so the installation
couldn't find the CD-Rom.
It may be the ide/scsi controler.

You can install from the network (nfs image).

Caesar
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Hi Markus,

Two things to look at are:
1. Is there a HP Linux drivers floppy available for this, if not you can make the Redhat Supplementary floppies from the first CD.

2. Do you have the latest BIOS for your card? Some controllers require a BIOS upgrade before they can be seen by Linux?

Good luck,
Andrew
Markus Hoeschen
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

thank you verry much for your replies... But I'm having still the same problem... I've tried all the things but nothing worked for me... It seams that the installation process can't mount my cd-rom drive (message: trying to mount device hda)... Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Markus
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

I suggest you to check/replace you installation CDROM

I've installed RHL 7.3 on DL360 G3 this year

Vitaly.
zhengjun

anyone of the hp netserver and
hp proliant machine don't install redhat9.0 from redhat9.0 installing CD ,but
i cp iso file of redhat9.0 to
my lp1000r dev/sdb1 from local harddisk install is successful!
it runing fun now !
Kevin Brannen
Solution

I have a DL380 and had the same problem, but I can tell you how to install successfully. :-) BTW, all the "hda=cdrom" and "ide=nomda" options didn't help.

You can't install from CD. Doesn't matter if you have a CD or DVD drive. You always get the "format" error. OTOH, I stuck a SuSE 8.2 disk in and it started installing beautifully. Sigh...if only I didn't have the RH 9.0 requirement.

You can't install by NFS mount either. It won't mount. I set up 2 different machines, dropped the RedHat dirs onto it per instructions, tested the NFS exports to various machines successfully, but the install program would never mount the NFS dir. The error message was generic and useless. I'm starting to dislike RH.

Try 3 was a hard drive install, but I have an empty HD. However, since Suse 8.2 would install, I did a minimal Suse install with a 1G root partition (to be reclaimed later as swap or with LVM), and created a 2.5G ext2 partition, then I dropped the 3 ISOs into it. I mounted that partition as /RH9, so the ISO's would be a the top. I put the ISOs there by sticking each of the CDs in the drive and doing "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/RH9/cd1.iso bs=512" (ignore the warning/error at the end), changing the filename with the disk number. The ISOs should be something like 667M, 677M, 508M (numbers from memory but that should be close). Once you've done all that, put the RH CD1 back in the drive, boot the machine, pick "hard drive install", you'll get the Welcome Message, an off you go.

If you don't have a SuSE 8.2 disk laying around, you should be able to use any older RH version, as I understand they install too (though I haven't done it). Be sure to make the ISO partition ext2, that's vital.

HTH and Good Luck!
Kevin
PAOLO LOGGIA

i've had the same problem with 2 server, a ML370 and a ML350. The 1st one (ML370) has a dvd on hda and a cd writer on hdb. Well, strangely enough, to resolve the problem i just swapped the RH 9 cd from dvd to cd writer. After that the installation proceeded smoothly.
The ML350, comes with only 1 cd device and reproduced the same problem. So i got a spare cd device that i mounted on ML350 and again got the system installed in the same way.

HTH
Paolo.