New Discussion юеВ

Redhat 7.2 Crashing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex Ferreira
Frequent Advisor

Redhat 7.2 Crashing

Greetings,

I am very new to this wonderful LINUX world, and let me add, it rocks.

I am currently running RedHat 7.2. The problem I encounter is that my REdHat keeps crashing. Could it be a swap issue?? The partition my REdHat sits on is 5gig, with a swap of 130 meg.

I am using the X desktop. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Alex
9 REPLIES 9
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Redhat 7.2 Crashing

The old rule of thumb for Unix in general used to be 2 x RAM = swap. These days with RAM being so cheap, the general rule seems more to be 1 = 1 (RAM to swap) Seeing you don't say how much RAM you have, I would at a guess suggest that your swap is *WAY* to small.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

What sort of hardware are you using ? (processor, video card, memory, hdd, network)

What are you doing before it crashes ? (did you just launch an application, was it just sitting there, try to switch desktops, just click somewhere)

We need more details to be able to give you any sort of accurate prognosis.
One long-haired git at your service...
Alex Ferreira
Frequent Advisor

Ok,

apologies for such a brief message :

CPU : 700 celeron
Graphics card : Geforce2 64meg
Hdd : 80Gb (Seagate)
NIC : Realtek 10/100 (full duplex)

I can be running any application. Lastnight I was trying to connect to the internet. I was doing this through the GUI. The only other thing I had open was a shell which I was mucking around with new commands I had learnt.

I hope this helps.

Alex
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Once again you've not said how much memory (RAM) you've got, but I do agree with Michael Tully that you probably don't have sufficient memory/swap.

With the system up and running, post the contents of /proc/meminfo to the forum so we can get a better idea.
One long-haired git at your service...
Alex Ferreira
Frequent Advisor

Stuart,

my apologies...

I have 320meg of RAM and my swap is 130meg.

I will send the rest of the info later on in the day as my RedHat baby is at home.

Thanks heaps S.B..
Paulo A G Fessel
Trusted Contributor

You can't have a swap of just 130MB with 320MB RAM. Your swap must be on par with your RAM ammount.

If you dont't have space on your HD to create a bigger swap partition, you can just create a swap file:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=220
# mkswap /swapfile
# swapon /swapfile

To automatize the swapfile activation, edit /etc/fstab and add:

/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0

HTH
Paulo Fessel

L'employ├Г┬й propose, le boss dispose.
Paulo A G Fessel
Trusted Contributor

Oh, and BTW, don't forget to assign points to people that answered you, even if that doesn't solve the problem.

[]'s
Paulo Fessel
L'employ├Г┬й propose, le boss dispose.
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

might as well be X that is locking up your machine, are you using the drivers from the NVidia site or the ones supplied with RH?
Alex Ferreira
Frequent Advisor

People,

I have to thank ALL that replied, and yes, points going over to all that took the time to reply...

Btw, it was the swap.... To little.... I cranked the swap up and guess what????

Till the next question,

Alex.