New Discussion юеВ

Re: Redhat 9 Install Freeze?

SOLVED
Go to solution
dommega
Occasional Contributor

Redhat 9 Install Freeze?

Hi all,

I own a Pavilion 775E and I paritioned my drive for Redhat. But everytime I load it, I get an error right after the mouse installation. Attached is the error. Anybody help me and tell me what I am doing wrong.

I used partition magic and the partitions were a Linux Swap with a Linux ext3 cause that is what they recommended. There is plenty enough space for each.
5 REPLIES 5
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Did you create a /boot partition at beginning of your disk ?
Is scsi disk 1 your boot device, after CD rom ?
Do you have other Hard disks ?

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
dommega
Occasional Contributor

I created the partition right after I did the full recovery with the HP disks. And yea scsi is the bootable after the CD rom. As for other hard disks, there is my "D" drive which is the recovery drive. But I partitioned the Linux stuff from the C drive. This is kind of weird though. When I open Partition Magic it shows my other drives, but everytime I open up My Computer, my other drives don't show. Does that have something to do with it?
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes !
If D drive is physically another drive than C.
In my computer, you won't seen linux partition anyway, becaus Windows is not able to detect them, nor than your swap.
You may also have a problem with your BIOS disk addressing. The best way to do should be to have :
First partition, say 150 MB, primary, ext 3 type, with /boot on it.
Second partition, primary, fat or ntfs type, with your windows.
Extended partition, with the rest of your disk (I'm assuming D is another physical drive, otherwise D should be the third partition, windows type too, primary), with :
Logical partition, ext 3 type, containing /
Logical partition, linux swap type.

Your BIOS is trying to address the disk, and may get mixed if its adressing is not corresponding to what it attends.
It also happens that Partition magic makes problems in that case, as it signs the MBR, which make some BIOS read it as non consistent...

Try the above toplogy, or post the one you have...

hth

J
dommega
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I followed your partition advice and it worked. Thank you. I found out that I made my Linux Swap part of my C vs. part of the ext3 part. And my D drive is the HP backup stuff which I don't understand cause I have all the reformat disks.

My ultimate goal is to completely turn over to Linux. Just need to find comparable graphic programs to Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Macromedia Flash in Linux. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help either way :)
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Flash exists for Linux, you'll find it on the Web.
As for photoshop, try 'the gimp', apart from one limitation in color scheme, it's a pretty evoluted program.
I do not know any equivalent for illustrator... mabe could you open a thread specifically on it.

Would you mind assigning points ? It helps people to know that, if they have the same question, the thread contains a workable answer.

Tks :]]

J