cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redhat 9 NFS install Compaq DL 360 G3

Antony_5
Advisor

Redhat 9 NFS install Compaq DL 360 G3

We try to install Redhat 9 (with NFS install) on a DL360 G3. We've got a message "install exited abnormally received signal 11" just after setting ip and mount point of the NFS server. The FTP install works correctly...
22 REPLIES
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Re: Redhat 9 NFS install Compaq DL 360 G3

I had it too (when I used cdroms to install -it worked fine, but when tried to install from NFS share -where I extracted the same ISOs it failed at the same point- I suggest you to redownload the ISOs
Antony_5
Advisor

But it works correctly with another server, so i think it's not a problem from iso...
(The install doesn't work with local Cd-rom, the server doesn't detect cd-rom when we have to choose the packages...)
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

try specifying IP address instead of getting one from DHCP while starting the netowrk while installing
Antony_5
Advisor

We allready have test this idea, with dhcp or without, this is the same issue...
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

right now I remained with a very similar problem a have several versions installations
on my RedHat NFS server and all of them work fine , except the RH9 which fail at the same point exactly.
Like I said -I had it before and redownloading the ISO's helped, I'm going to try to recopy the ISO's to the same shared point and to update you with the results-stay tuned....
Antony_5
Advisor

thx a lot...
Just of case of, we have an error on the boot :
hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { Error }
hda: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04

Perhaps it can explain the issue with cdrom install.... but not with the NFS...
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

There are some disk utilities you may need to run crom Compaq/HP to prepare the disks for installion.

Thats based on the last error message, not the first, which you seem to have overcome.

The obvious things should be looked at, such as cable snugness and scsi termination. I've seent he specifications on this box and it is hardware certified.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

100% success. Perhaps some file wasn't copied correctly. This is the second time it happend to me , so I guess there will be no doubt for me in the future regarding similar problems....

However I don't get hda errors, and I would try replacing this IDE hard drive if I were you...

Best regards...
Antony_5
Advisor

Hi Alexander !

You make test with the same server ??? Compaq DL360 G3 ??? No issues for you ???
Antony_5
Advisor

Ok, can you explain me what's the method, step by step when you've got a new server, before you insert the first redhat cd-rom ?
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

I have a NFS server with several versions installations (like I described above)

Generally I install Linux from several location (Vlans) in our network via nfs ,i.e. boot from diskette and choose nfs method for installation.

The problem was that even though I could install the RedHat9 from CD's (locally), there was a problem doing so via NFS.

Right after the message "RedHat starting Installation"
I received "Installation exited abnormally..."

No it's fixed....

Can you describe your case more specifically?

Antony_5
Advisor

New server Compaq DL 360 G3.
Existant server with copy Redhat 9 sources
(-> exportfs :/........)
Same vlan for the two servers.
Boot new server with first RedHat 9 cdrom
Select NFS Install
Crash after setting nfs mount...
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

try (yes just try) to recopy the installation files.That's all I did (without redownloading)-just recopy.Pay attention that you do it right.

I copy the first cd to some folder under share, and then for second and third CDs just the RPMS to RedHat/RPMS folder...

Tell us if it works...
Antony_5
Advisor

ok i can try but why the install works correctly with an another server ????
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

if you're saying that you've installed redhat 9 on some machine via nfs from that share, then try yo replace the hardware.
I 'd start with the hard drive cause you say it gives errors.
If it's not it -maybe the NIC
If it's not it -maybe the memory....

In my situation I could install all versions but the redhat 9 from the NFS server untill the replacement of the files..

Best Regards...
Antony_5
Advisor

In fact, we've got 2 new servers and the 2 servers give us the same issue... So I think that's not a hardware problem....
I've got another idea: The server crash when the installation become graphical to select packages... Perhaps it's a problem of driver for the video card ???????
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

how about typing
boot: linux text

this would cause the installation to continiue in text mode and this way you'll know if it's the video card issue...
Antony_5
Advisor

we always have try it.... sorry
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Hey , Bro!
Just searched the Internet with your hard drive errors:
hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { Error }
hda: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04

There are recomendation to replace that hard drive....
Did you try it?
Antony_5
Advisor

What's about the compaq smartstart cd-rom ???
Gus Fritschie
Occasional Visitor

I have a problem when installing RH 9.0 on a Compaq Proliant DL360 G2. It boots off the CD fine and I can select language, etc..., however, when asking for the CD it does not recognize the CD. I tried using smartstart CD, but I didn't have Linux as one of my choices.

Any suggestions?
Antony_5
Advisor

Try a network install...