5966 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Redhat Login Problem - gdm.conf

Alvin_14
Advisor

Redhat Login Problem - gdm.conf

when I login to Redhat GUI thru console I get:

your session lasted less than 10 seconds. if you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. try loggin in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

my .xsession-errors file states:

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wt
mp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "root"
tset: standard error: Invalid argument

stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I've harden the server. The only change done on the gdm side is the gdm.conf which I uncommented:

#SystemMenu=true

now I've restored it to original file yet I cannot login thru X.

Help please.
4 REPLIES 4
Alvin_14
Advisor

Re: Redhat Login Problem - gdm.conf

i noticed something. if i ctrl alt f1 and then remove .X0-lock then startx I have no problem.

but im still dazed and confused. which configuration should i modify so that i can directly login to the redhat gui?
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

attached is the default configuration of gdm.conf file.
a warrior never quits
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If you are running gdm, then press Ctrl-Alt-F1, remove the /tmp/.X0-lock file and run startx, you're effectively starting a new X server while gdm has already started one. This wastes memory.

The error messages of tset and stty commands in your .xsession-errors file suggest that your /etc/profile, ~/.profile and/or other login scripts contain some commands that attempt to initialize terminal settings without first making sure that the current session *has* a terminal.

gdm will run several scripts when initializing an X session. To initialize all environment variables properly, these scripts will execute /etc/profile (and whatever other login scripts) as with a terminal login, but with stdin redirected from /dev/null and stdout+stderr redirected to .xsession-errors file. If any of these scripts end with an error, gdm will see it as an indication that the X session setup has failed, and will re-display the login dialog.

You should make any tset and stty commands in your login scripts conditional, for example:

if tty -s; then
tset
fi

or

tty -s && stty

MK
MK
Alvin_14
Advisor

actually if i set my /etc/inittab to level 3 then just startx i have no problem. maybe because it doesn't prompt for username and password on the gui.

but if i start at level 5 it prompts for username and password. then i cannot login. it gives me the same error as stated earlier.