5751 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Redhat fedora core 6.0 " 2200bg " wireless nic

Thai Tran_3
Advisor

Redhat fedora core 6.0 " 2200bg " wireless nic

Hello,
I am looking for the " 2200bg " wireless nic driver for Redhat fedora core 6.0 for my laptop nc8200.

Please help.

Thai
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Redhat fedora core 6.0 " 2200bg " wireless nic

Is that the Intel's wireless NIC (a part of some versions of the "Centrino" package)?

The driver module is included in the standard Linux kernel, so it's usually included to every Linux distribution: the name is "ipw2200".

Look into /lib/modules//kernel/drivers/net/wireless directory: there should be a file named "ipw2200.ko".

Or just execute "modinfo ipw2200". If it says "modinfo: could not find module ipw2200", you don't have the driver module installed. If it displays a long description of the module parameters and hardware detection strings, the module is ready for use.

MK
MK
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Unless you realy need to stay at fedora 6 I would suggest migrating to 7 or even better to Fedora 8.

The latests versions have a much better support for WIFI and support for version 6 is now not much supported any more, and you will probably will have to do the move some time "soon".

Jean-Pierre Huc
Smile I will feel the difference
Thai Tran_3
Advisor

Thank you so much guys. Yeah, you're right. I probably better off with version 8. I hope version 8 will fix the wireless problem.

Thanks,

Thai
Thai Tran_3
Advisor

I got the Fedora Core Version 8.0 installed. Everything seems to work fine but wireless. It does not give me the option/software to detect my network or to scan the network if there is a wireless network available. I am very new to this. Please help.

Thai