1753808 Members
7707 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Redundancy over network

Paul Wentland
Advisor

Redundancy over network

We have 2 HP9000 L2000 servers in two different buildings. One server is our primary production server, the second one, should run as a redundant server. We are going to copy the database every night to the second server.
I case the 1. server fails, let say at noon, we would lose all the data entered in the morning.

Is it possible to do a real-time redundancy over the network?
Do I need a special equipment, infrastructure?

Any idea greatly appreciated

Paul
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Redundancy over network

There are differente technologies that allows a "real time" redundancy or "high availability". You can use a cluster software, shared storage, software or hardware based data replication, or a database product like oracle data guard.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Paul --

HP's ServiceGuard product handles all of this type of setup for you.

There is also a special flavor for Oracle and SAP.

You can find details here:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/4174-0-0-0-121.html
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"

I think you mean "database redundancy", it is to say some way to update the database in the remote building with the changes to the production one.

If the database is Oracle this can be done through Oracle Standby database and eventually Oracle Data Guard.

Anyway this is not an automated solution, in case of a production failure you have to manually activate the standby database and make the remote server accessible from the clients.

Clustering software such ad MC/Service Guard give automated solutions to manage a production fault.

Best regards, Alessandro Bocchino
http://www.risolve.com
We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have, our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task - the rest, is the madness of art - Henry James