4766 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reflection2 uses all cpu ?

Jesper Sivertsen
Frequent Advisor

Reflection2 uses all cpu ?

Hi there

We are using Reflection2 4.21 for windows ( 16 bit ) on Windows 98.
The moment we start Reflection, it takes all cpu on the PC, why ?
Do anybody know of any fix for that ?
We do not want to upgrade ( money ).

Thanks for any help
Jesper Sivertsen
All in unix is files
4 REPLIES 4
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Re: Reflection2 uses all cpu ?

Jesper,

I guess that it's a compatability issue with Windows 98. Version 4 of Reflections is a very old product, the current version is 8.

I doubt whether you will find anything useful but it may be worth visiting http://support.wrq.com/

Regards,
John
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

X emulators are notoriously heavy on CPU on PC's. Im running Exceed 6 on my PC (NT4) and it constantly uses 67% of my CPU, even when im not doing anything (running a Pentium 3 500). Answer - get more CPU or try a different emulator. There are X emulators out there that run a daemon on the Unix server and thus only a small process runs on your PC using less cpu/memory, that way the Unix server uses some of its cpu/memory to complete the emulation.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Jesper Sivertsen
Frequent Advisor

Just to be clear !
Reflection2 is NOT Reflection X.
I myselv run ReflectionX 32 bit witout trouble.
The problem is that we have 125 Reflection2 licenses, and that our setup is hily configured.
I found free telnet-clients that can be configured to our nedd, but it vil take a log time to do.
Jesper
All in unix is files
Ken Martin_1
Occasional Advisor

Your problem raises some questions? Did this just start happening? Did you upgrade from Windows 95 to Windows 98? Are you using serial ports or telnet? Version 4.21 was originally written for Windows 3.1. It worked under Win 95 but don't know if it is compatable with Win 98. If this just started happening have you loaded some new software that may have replaced critical DLL files? Try a reinstall on 1 machine as a test. If it started after upgrading to Win 98 then it might be an OS compatability issue. Because version 4.21 is so old a quick review of the WRQ WEB site didn't turn up much. WRQ recommends using at least version 5 for Win 95! If you are using serial ports you may want to check as a starting point this WRQ document: http://support.wrq.com/techdocs/1118.html yes it does say WIN 95. May be worth a check.