108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reflections

SOLVED
Go to solution
CONFUZZZZEDDD
Occasional Contributor

Reflections

I have an RX6600 HP UX running 11.31 OS. I need to be able to use Reflection. Is there something I need installed or service started. My DBA is in need for oracle.
thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Reflections

Which Reflection product do you need to use?

Reflection/X? Reflection terminal emulator (via telnet or SSH)?

CONFUZZZZEDDD
Occasional Contributor

he wants to use Reflections X
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Does your DBA only need to run GUI-based Oracle commands, or does s/he need a full CDE desktop environment?

In HP-UX 11.31, the CDE is now an optional component: although it's included on the core OS installation DVDs, it is not installed by default. If you need to install it, please see this thread:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/install-cde-xxx-on-hp-ux11-31/m-p/4044136#M303441

If full CDE is not required, the next question is: which connection method should be used?

Reflection/X supports many connection methods: XDMCP, telnet, rlogin and (in reasonably modern versions) SSH. SSH is the most secure of them, but requires that you have installed the free HP-UX Secure Shell (available from software.hp.com) or some other SSH server product.

If you use the SSH connection method with Reflection/X, you won't have to (and should not) set your DISPLAY environment variable manually nor use "xhost +" or "xauth" commands - the SSH protocol handles all that automatically.

If you want to use telnet or rlogin, Reflection/X probably includes a suitable login script for that purpose. (I don't recommend this: as these protocols are completely unencrypted, anyone who can monitor your network traffic can easily find out your passwords.)

If you want to use XDMCP, you must install CDE and also start the dtlogin service:
/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e
/sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc start

If your system has been hardened for security, your /etc/dt/config/Xconfig might include an uncommented line like:

Dtlogin.requestPort: 0

This disables XDMCP, so if you have this line and must use XDMCP, you must comment it out (and then restart dtlogin if it's already running).

MK

MK