108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Refreshing a database

SOLVED
Go to solution
carl airiel
Advisor

Last thing. this database has it's application. Will it be affected after the refresh.
Thank you so much for the help.

Regards,
Allan
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

As long as it is compatible and without any errors the refreshing done, it will work fine.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
carl airiel
Advisor

I just get confused with the terms. Is refreshig a database different from restoring a database. It what ways do they differ.

thanks
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Allan,

Restoring a databse is completely building a DB from scratch where as refreshing will keep it updated.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

normally, refresh applies to materialized view or snapshots

If your case, a true refresh would be using database links and snapshots.

this might turn out to be quite complicated.

Depending on your requirements, you have to decide whether you just want a copy of the production database as at a certain point in time or a setup when you can regularly "refresh" so as to get a true picture of the production database.

you need to clarify your requirements.

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Simon Wickham_6
Regular Advisor

To perform this safely I would use the IMP/EXP utlity as the data dictionaries will be diffrent.

Regards,
Simon
carl airiel
Advisor

During the create controfile command, am I allowed to change the location of the datafile, the name of the datafile?Does it going to affect my test db?Does my test server will run smoothly?

Regards,
Allan
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Carl,

In your create control file script you will have the dev database name and the datafile names and location will be the place where you copied them and the names that you gave them.

for example in PORD you had data file in location /ora01/oradata/abc/system_abd.dbf and you copied this file into dev server from the backup into /ora01/oradata/dbe/system_dbe.dbf then in you create control file script you will provide the dev datafile locaton and name which will be /ora01/oradata/dbe/system_dbe.dbf and you database name will be the dev database name. Once you created the control file successfully, and then opened the database it should function fine.

Also check the control file name and location is the smae in the init.ora file.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Frank de Vries
Respected Contributor

Hi Carl

Yes you can change the location of your
datafile(s) in the controlfile.

However you need to alter the location
in the datadictionary too with the
alter database rename datafile command
in svrmgrl in mount state.

Probably superfluous to mention that
you should ensure the datafiles also physically exists on this new location.

Look before you leap