108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Registering plain executables in SAM

SOLVED
Go to solution
GBR
Regular Advisor

Registering plain executables in SAM

I grabbed a bzip2 executable from Merijn's HP-UX software site, and it seems to be working fine. Is there a way to register the software in SAM, so others will know bzip2 is sitting on the box?
4 REPLIES 4
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Re: Registering plain executables in SAM

there used to be a way of adding in your own functions to SAM, but as SAm is being obsoleted, tthis may not be available anymore

man sam
then look for the section entitled:
Adding New Functionality to SAM
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Whatever "registering" is, SAM doesn't do it. HP's approach is Software Distributor which includes swinstall, swremove, swcopy et al. These can be invoked by SAM although they are more commonly invoked directly from the shell. In any event, unless the software was swpackage'ed into a depot then it will not be installed in the Installed Software Database. Software from HP as well as from any of the HP-UX Porting Centre's is distributed as an SD bundle but other software (e.g. Oracle) is not and your box won't have a clue that Oracle is installed.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Greg:

The standard "expectatation" of where to loook for things like this would/should be in '/usr/contrib' or '/usr/local'. Have a look at the manpages for 'hier(5)'.

Regards!

...JRF...
GBR
Regular Advisor

Thank you very much. That answers my question.