New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Desktop

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian C Freeman
Advisor

Remote Desktop

Hello all,

I first must say how much I love this forum with all of its helpful members!

I have posted a few times about my HP-UX 10.20 box. I need some more assistance with installing some remote desktop software. My system engineers want to be able to work remotely from their desks (Windows XP Pro) and see the CDE desktop so they can run their GUI software (HP SmarTest). Anyone have any luck on HP-UX 10.20 getting VNC installed; if so, which version and point me in the right direction of getting a download and some documentation.

Thank you,
Brian
9 REPLIES 9
TTr
Honored Contributor

What is your HP-UX 10.20 box? Does it have a graphics desktop to share over VNC?

It might be easier to look into installing an X-server at the windows desktops to connect and run x-based apps on HP-UX and have them display on the winXP desktop.
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

I've installed the free and enterprise versions of RealVNC for 11i v3, but I don't think you'll have much luck getting it to work on 10.20. Instead, I would suggest you use a PC X-server type software and connect to the 10.20 box using XDMCP with XMing.

Xming is free and would work well for this.

http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/

-denver
TwoProc
Honored Contributor
Solution

Actually, just use an XDMCP protocol and aim at your 10.20's IP address, if you've not turned off CDE - it's probably there waiting for you to use it.

If you have turned it off, turn it on.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Brian C Freeman
Advisor

CDE is on and waiting. I will try this and report back!

Thank you,
Brian
TTr
Honored Contributor

> use an XDMCP protocol and aim at your 10.20's IP address
> CDE is on and waiting. I will try this and report back!

XDMCP with CDE are optional. You can still run x-based apps on HP-UX and have them display on the XP without having CDE running. Actually you should try without CDE. This way you don't have to have the HP-UX box manage the X desktops on the XP and avoid some extra load on HP-UX which can be significant depending on the number of users.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

That's true TTr - but he specifically said he wants to connect to CDE because that's what his engineers specificaly want....
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Brian C Freeman
Advisor

Thank you all for your answers so far!

Xming is working great, I can connect to all of my HP's and see a CDE desktop and work in it and life is good, except for one thing. Originally we were looking at VNC because of the desktop sharing functionality. How can I use Xming to see the current display from the video card in a remote window and still see the local display too, or share the remote display with another Xming user? Essentially we need VNC functionality so if our tester breaks and we need outside support we can have the vendor come in securely and help us with the issue, not just in their own CDE session. The securely part we can deal with it is the screen and mouse/keyboard sharing that we desperately need.

Can anyone shed some light for me?

During the downtime of HP Forums?? I have installed PRNGD, SSL and SSH so I can try and tunnel X11 to Xming. Will report back on how it is going. I have been able to tunnel X11 out and xclock, SAM and SD installer will all pop up remote gui's on my XP box with xming. But I still can't seem to figure out how to share the current terminal display with a remote user (like VNC) in order for a vendor to engage with our engineers on a problem with the tester machine itself.

On a side note:
I also tried running our tester software (HP SmarTest) through a remote app to my xming XP box and it throws an error that seems to be related to it not wanting to run on any CDE except the local terminal session.

Sorry for the long windedness here but the forums were down for 4 days!

Thank you,
Brian
Brian C Freeman
Advisor

TTr,

I apologize that I never answered this question: "What is your HP-UX 10.20 box? Does it have a graphics desktop to share over VNC?"

It is a Visualize C3600 552mHz PA/Risc, 4GB RAM and does have a graphical desktop to share and as you can see from my previous post, that is exactly what I need to do!
TTr
Honored Contributor

The reason I asked about the HP-UX box is performance related. The C3600 is usually a single user workstation and if you allow many users to run multiple CDE desktops the workstation might start to experience perfromance issues. Of course the same will happen if you don't run CDE but several of your engineers will run x-based apps (the same app or many different ones) but at least your workstation will not be doing CDE desktop management multiple times.