like stairsteps. Is there any config
require in NT-Server ?

Thanks in Advance

sekar.
7 REPLIES 7
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Re: Remote Printer Problem.

I generally say these errors occur because of CR+LF problems. Here is a url which may be of interest. The problem you have is addressed at the bottom of the url.

Good Luck,
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Did you try lp command with -oBSD1 option ?
You need to setup the printer on the UNIX side with bsd printing and install LPDSVC on the NT box.
D. Jackson_1
Honored Contributor

It sounds to me like a driver issue. What kind of printer is it?? Get the correct driver and you should be good to go.

Good Luck!
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Ok dumby, paste the url

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=HPUX+printer+return+after+line+feed&hl=en&rnum=3&selm=9odbdh%24cmr%242%40web1.cup.hp.com
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I keep reading your post and trying to make sure I understand exactly what your doing...I feel I may not. But...your PC is attached to an NT Server. OK. Is your Lexmark printer attached to your NT server a network printer? Does it have an IP address? If it does...than just set up Jetadmin on your HP box, set up your Lexmark Network printer IP in your hosts file and use TCPIP as your protocol to send your print job. You can set the printer up as a remote printer with SAM...and with that you should be able to route it to the IP of the printer.
I do this all over the state I live in...HP to NT...IBM Mainframe to Xerox Printers. Crossing networks (WAN/LAN), & systems by simply utilizing TCPIP to route jobs to the printer(IP) I want.

But like I said..maybe I'm reading your post wrong.

So I hope this helps,
Rita
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This is a very common problem (stairstep output) for remote printing. HP-UX uses SysV spooling which defines that the server must perform -o options, not the originator. Since NT knows nothing about the options, the requisite ASCII file conversion is not performed. NT simply sends the job to the printer (and HP-UX ASCII files have nothing but line-feed characters between lines).

This is why JetDirect printing is much preferred...HP-UX will preformat the priunt job, then send to job direct to the printer. And rather than sending it twice over the network (once to server, then again to printer), HP-UX communicates directly with the printer.

If you have no choice but to use NT servers, you'll need to create an lp wrapper which will preformat the jobs so they are printer-ready.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

Bill wrote:

> If you have no choice but to use NT servers,
> you'll need to create an lp wrapper which
> will preformat the jobs so they are printer-
> ready.

If your primary problem is the stairstep problem, you can feed the data through ux2dos(1) before sending it to lp(1), i.e.

ux2dos /dirname/filename | lp ...

If that is not feasible, you can put ux2dos in a *copy* of the rmodel script, i.e. my_rmodel, and remove/re-add the printer, specifying the new model script. You will need some expertise is shell programming to do this.