1748279 Members
4275 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Remote Support Adv 05.40 - SIM6 - Hyper-V

NasaDave
Advisor

I think HP just wants us to purchase a dedicated server to run THEIR monitoring tool.

That's pretty sneaky.. and screws up peoples budgets.

People wonder why government projects have cost overrun? It's because of unethical practices such as this.

Hyper-V has been a production virtualization environment for 5 years.

HP Supports running Hyper-V on their servers.

Yet, they simply refuse to allow a software application to run based on a Hardware flag.

There is NOTHING required for this software to operate under Hyper-V other than their desire to sell you more hardware or for you to purchase VMware.

This is tantamount to fraud or at least collusion with VMware.

EricL
Frequent Advisor

Well, I can say with certainty that HP Insight Remote Support doesn’t have any overarching plans against the use of Hyper-V or any other hypervisor - it is simply a matter of feature priority.  The reality is that Insight-RS does not pull hardware identifiers when run in a VM guest, but we do pull identifiers associated with the guest instance, which has to be done differently for each hypervisor vendor.  Ideally, we’d be able to interact with each type of hypervisor guest in the same way to pull the information we need, but the technologies haven’t reached this point yet and so extra development and testing is required for each additional vendor.

Thanks,

Eric

I am an HP Employee.
NasaDave
Advisor

Why is pulling the hardware identy that RS is running on in the first place important?

Since all the software does is pull together Hardward support from HP to hardware euqipment.

For example:

If the software was running on a Dell Server; it still could only be used to support HP equipement.

So what is the point in limiting the software to only run on HP?

The only conclusion is that because HP want's you to either A) Purchase a dedicated server to run RS or B) Purchase VMware or Xen and the support from HP.

We are Windows and Windows ONLY environment. So the only option is to purchase a dedicated server.

HP SIM and RS takes up way to much resources to run anything else on a basic server.

toddg1
HPE Pro

NasaDave, the I-RS version 7.0.9 release, which was made available this month, does support running in a Hyper-V guest as long as the OS running in the guest is supported by I-RS.

Note, as with other virtualized environments, the guest itself will not be marked as eligible, but it will be registered at HP and allow the system to operate properly.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo