Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace old Smart Array with SA5300

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Replace old Smart Array with SA5300

Can one do an in-place upgrade of Linux running one of the old generation Smart Array controllers (using cpqarray) with the newer Smart Array 5300 Controller (using cciss)? If so, how?

I tried to do this on Red Hat 7.3 (2.4.18-3), but the boot would hang with the following error message (just the last few lines reproduced here):

failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-majort-104 errno =2
mont: error 6 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

(this type of error message has happened to me a couple of times under different circumstances when I did somethin kernel-related, but I have never been able to fix it and had to reinstall)

I also tried the following without any luck:
1 modifying /boot/grub/grub.conf entries from ../ida/.. to ../cciss/..
2 grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 (which recreates /boot/grub/device.map to reflect the new device name)
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/cciss/c0d0
3 change entries in /etc/fstab from ../ida/.. to ../cciss/.. (unnecessary for RH, which uses ext2 labels, not device names to refer to these devices

TIA
Riaan