7610 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing a HP Printer with a Sharp

Donald Osbourne
Occasional Advisor

Replacing a HP Printer with a Sharp

Hello,

I need to replace a network HP priner with a network Sharp printer, on a HP-UX 11.11 server, and configure the Print Spooler using the same printer name.

PS. The new model is not listed on the /usr/lib/lp/model directory.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

most printers are PCL compatable. use either PCL 5 or 6 model driver...

you can simply copy the model file of your choice to /etc/lp/interface/model.orig/PRINTER_NAME

You probably wont be able to use all the functions of your printer but, you never know.

also, the driver files are just shell scripts, program your own codes if needed using the printers reference guide.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> PS. The new model is not listed on the
> /usr/lib/lp/model directory.

I don't see it in your question, either. If
Sharp makes more than one network printer,
then some hint as to its identity (or even
its capabilities) might be of some interest
to us non-psychics.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Can't help at all without the current HP printer model number, the version of HP-UX you are using and the Sharp mode number. There are HUNDREDS of incompatible printers that can never be used on HP-UX because they require a complete font and graphics rasterizing driver. HP-UX has NO printer drivers, just simple printer scripts that can do rudimentary text formatting. If you research your HP and Sharp printers, you can find if they both support PCL, specifically version 5 or lower.

That is the printing language issue. HP has a proprietary network interface called JetDirect. Very few non-HP printers support this protocol so you will probably have to delete the existing printer and add the new printer as a remote printer using sam.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Donald Osbourne
Occasional Advisor

Hi folks,

Thank you all for the various responses. my current printers are HP laserjet 4250dtn and HP laserjet 2200D, and I will going to a Sharp MX-3100N and a Sharp MX-B400P. Hopefully I can find a PCL compatable driver.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> Hopefully I can find a PCL compatable driver.

The correct concern is: Hopefully I can find a PCL compatable PRINTER.

A simple Google search for the printers finds the specs on Sharp's website and both are indeed PCL compatible. However, the built-in LAN card appears to be a dumb print server. The best connection would be to purchase an HP JetDirect external box (LAN to USB) and connect the printers that way. Then the printer model net_ljx000 should provide the controls (options) you need.

Otherwise, the built-in LAN card is setup as a remote printer and you'll have virtually no options for printing controls

Bill Hassell, sysadmin