108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Restoration Problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
carl airiel
Advisor

Restoration Problems

I have a Prod db named abc on a HP-UX 11. I have also a test db named dfe on a HP-UX 10.20. In our system diagram it appeared to dbf is the development for db abc. Meaning they have the same data as of 2 months ago. I wanted to make a copy of the prod db on dfe. I'm going to use the incomplete recovery.That means I have only to restore the dbf files. use the create controfile command. Because they have different fs structure. When I'm about to restore the prod dbf's to the test server,I have noticed that the some of the test db dbf's differ from the production. It is ok to overwrite to dbf's since I'm not going to use them anyway. During the create controfile command, am I allowed to change the location of the datafile, the name of the datafile?Does it going to affect my test db?Does my test server will run smoothly?

Regards,
Allan
5 REPLIES 5
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Restoration Problems

Hi Carl,

From your post I understand that your production database is abc. And you have a development database called dfe and you wanted to refresh the dev data with prod data.

Then in that case the simple option for you will be to export the schema data from prod and then import into dev database. You need not worry about the datebase name change or datafile name / location change.

But if you still wanted to refresh dev data from prod by copying (to the dev location) the datafiles and archivelogs from a backup and reccovering then you will have to re-create the control file with the dev database name. In this case you will shutdown the dev database and delete the datafiles and then copy them from the backup.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
carl airiel
Advisor

Is that called the imcomplete recovery?When I have to recreate the controfile and apply the archivelogs from production db to test.

Thanks a lot
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Carl,

It depeneds on the type of backups you have. Do you have a full cold backup of your prod database or a hot backup.

If you are refreshing the dev with prod from a full cold backup then all you do restore the files from backup into your dev server and that will be a consistent recovery.

If you have hotbackup and then apply archivelogs to recover to a particular time then it will be recovery to that time.

I still feel export / import if best for you if you are looking at refreshing the data alone. Simple and best approach, but may take some time depending on the db size.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Allan,

Try using copy functioanlity or import/export functionality of Oracle DB. I feel, that will help you to do a refresh.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi allan,

if you take a hot backup of your production database, you can proceed as follows:

o restore the datafiles
o use the CREATE CONTROLFILE statement but use RESETLOGS
o use the RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE command
o when you've applied all of the archives -- alter database open resetlogs
(that'll create the new redo files for you)

and indeed you can modify the location of the datafiles in the "create controlfile" script.

hope this helps!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)