108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Right Clicking Files Or Folders Norton Antivirus 2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael_593
Frequent Advisor

Right Clicking Files Or Folders Norton Antivirus 2003

I Recentley Installed A Copy Of Norton Antivirus On My Work Computer And Ever Since Then When I Right Click A File Or Folder It Takes About A Minute Or To For The Menu To Come Up, Also When Deleteing A File Or Folder.

Thanks In Advance
8 REPLIES 8
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Re: Right Clicking Files Or Folders Norton Antivirus 2003

Hi Michael,
Try disabeling system real time protection and check if it is over, you virsscan does not scan automaticly anymore, but it is just to test.

It is your work comtputer, maybe there was already a virusscanner running and now you have 2 and they bother each other and slows down your computer.

Reagerds,
Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

I have seen problems with people that use more than one application such as Norton and Pest Patrol. Too many running applications can slow a system down(even a new one!).
If this is the case and you want all the protection, then try an all in one program such as EZ Armor by CA or Trend Antivirus (www.antivirus.com)also has a good package deal. Both work great on the machines I use.
Go into system resourses and what is your processor usage?
One other thing could be that some older apps have problems running under newer AV programs.
Good Luck
Work Smarter Not Harder
Michael_593
Frequent Advisor

I Disabled Auto Protect And Configured It Not To Start When Windows Starts. I Restarted And Still Same Thing. I Do Not Have Any Other Virus Scanner On This Computer. Processor Usage Is At 0% Unless I Start Programs Or Do Something, I Had Task Manager Up And I Right Clicked A Folder And It Kept Jumping From 0% To 4% To 7%. Isn├в t The Problem Going To Be With Either Windows Or Norton Antivirus 2003, Because I Had Norton Antivirus 2002 On It And I Just Now Replaced It. When I Had Norton 2002 On It I Did Not Have This Probl
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Mike,

Check this out : Microsoft KB Article 884130
and also http://www.computergripes.com/NortonAntiVirus2003.html
I believe Trend is a better program.
Work Smarter Not Harder
Michael_593
Frequent Advisor

That Site Is Awesome. I Have The "No Right Click" Problem And The "Accessing The Internet" Topic Gave Me Some Info. But The Right Click Option Will Come Up In About The Same Time It Takes When I Right Click On A File Or Folder. My Word Documents Take Forever When Loading After I Installed It Also. Great Site, But Still I Have No Solution.

Operating System: Windows 2000 SP4
Justin Jolly
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same problem. I run McAfee antivirus software, and nothing else. When I right click on a file folder it takes a minute or longer for the menu to come up, same thing with the Recycle Bin! I have task manager up and running when I do, and there are no odd applications running that I don't already know the function of. A Virus scan a spyware scan have found nothing. PLEASE HELP!
Pat
Honored Contributor

Tip for opening applications faster.

1) Choose an application that you want to start up quicker.

2) Create a shortcut and place it on the desktop.

3) Right click the shortcut item and click properties.

4) In the target field you will have it pointing to the location of the application. For Example it will say "C:\Program Files\Washer\washer.exe"

5) Add /prefetch:1 right after the last " marks in the target field. So you will have something that looks like this..

"C:\Program Files\Washer\washer.exe" /prefetch:1

6) Amazingly the application will start up quicker. For some applications like Kazaa Lite and some other 3rd party applications, this will not work. You will get an error message if it doesn't work properly. If you get the error, just simply remove the /prefetch:1 from the target field of the shortcut and the original shortcut will work fine again.

Pat

Michael_593
Frequent Advisor

OK I Found The Answer On Another Thread I Made About This Issue. "Right Click Menu Slow". Its In Microsft-General