1748259 Members
3586 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ris-server and HP DC7100

Bertil Haga

Ris-server and HP DC7100

Hi

IтАЩm trying to install a HP DC7100 thru a RIS-server. But after a while I receive this message:

***Hardware Malfunction***
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
*** The system has halted ***

Do anyone know what that means?
10 REPLIES 10
Juan Jos├й_2

Usually a memory parity error means that you have a bad memory. You should try with another memory or try to run a Hardware test from the setup.

What Operating System are you installing? This Hardware is supported?

Regards,
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

Looks like memory on your server is having some issues and that needs to be replaced.

Rgds

Gopi
Brachacz_1

I've a same problem do you found a solution ?
Anders Munk
Occasional Advisor

Same problem here... i think there is a problem with the onboard graphics. I even tryied a clean Xp installation with no graphics driver only the VgaSave, but that didnt work either.
Anders Munk
Occasional Advisor

Hi again.. Just searced the net for others with this problem. And found a solution from a clever guy in a Dell forum.

The problem lies in the Broadcom driver files.

To resolve the problem do the following:

Update your XP Broadcom driver files from the website :http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php

Now save all the files in the i386 in both directories for the image on the RIS server

Do the same for both of the $oem$\1$\drivers\nic folders

Open the downloaded b57w32.inf file for editing.

Delete the [Broadcom] section until you get to [Broadcom.NTx86.5.1]

Delete the sections headed 32-bit Windows 2K Install section until you get to 32-bit Windows XP Install section

In the [Manufacturer] section (in the top)
Change to the following:
%BRCM% = Broadcom

In the [Broadcom.NTx86.5.1] section, modify the section header to read [Broadcom]

Save the *.inf file and copy it to both of the i386 directories. Do not put them in the $oem$ folders!

Stop the BINLSVC service on the RIS server.

Delete the b57w32.PNF and the b57w2k.PNF in the i386 folder on your RIS server installation.

Start the BINLSVC service.

Start the RIS build and things should start working now.

Thanks to Toby Ovod-Everett from the Dell forum who posted this helpful guide.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=oplex_network&message.id=4901
Lyle De Groot_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi there

I have the exact same issue, but trying to deploy Win2k onto a DC7100 as part of a test network...

Does the above mentoned method also work for Win2K?

Cheers
Brachacz_1

It's a bugg with Broadcom driver see below ..

**** Follow these very carefully and you MUST change these in 4 places, on both your standard winXP flat image(ex:winxpsp1.pro) plus your custom RIS image (ex:winxp_sp1). You should have this INF driver in the I386 and $oem$ directories for each image. CHANGE ALL FOUR!!

http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/faq_drivers.php#80

Modify the b57xp32.inf file
In the .inf file that is to be placed in the RemoteInstall\Setup\Language\Images\Dir_Name\i386 folder, remove NTx86.5.1 in two lines (see the following example):
Original Revised

[Manufacturer] [Manufacturer]
%BRCM% = Broadcom, NTx86.5.1 %BRCM% = Broadcom

[ControlFlags] [ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect = * ExcludeFromSelect = *

[Broadcom.NTx86.5.1] [Broadcom]
*** Dont forget to restart the bin information negotiation layer on the Win2000 SVR!
Carlos Barriga

GUYS: THANKS A LOT!!! I was almost having a heart attack dealing with this problem. But thanks to you I solved it.

I hope HP will start to look for another network card dealer. Broadcom is always a problem with every single new HP machine in terms of remote installation.
Rudy_26
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

for some strange reason, up untill a couple of weeks ago, I was able to use RIS to image the Dc7100sff, then for no apparent reason I started getting the same message? I rebuilt from the flat image and then Riprep it to the server. However the same error message ***Hardware Malfunction***
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
*** The system has halted ***
comes up, this is driving me nuts, I have searched the forums for a solution to this problem with out any-luck, does any-one have this resolved yet?