Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rollback segment corruption

ALOK_1
Occasional Visitor

Rollback segment corruption

How does one identify that Database is suffering from Rollback segment corruption, i know there is V$ROLLSTAT which can be viewed , other than are there any practical life situations when one is sure that it is rollback segment corruption
DBA Guys
3 REPLIES

Re: Rollback segment corruption

You can use "dbv" to verify the datafile(s) of the rollback segment(s). "dbv" is in the directory ORACLE_HOME/bin.

Laszlo
Steve Slade
Frequent Advisor

ALOK,

Laszlo is correct in that you can use the utility db_verify to validate your datafiles.

However, I am pretty sure that Oracle would crash when accessing the corrupted block(s) of a corrupted rollback segment - as it would not be able to complete the current transaction. If nothing else, the transaction itself should roll back with an Oracle Error message and a message in the alert.log file.

I have never come across this before, so I am interested in the symptoms you are having. I have seen instances, and had to recover from instances, where a rollback segment has been lost and could not be recovered - and there are additional init.ora commands that you can use to start the database with a corrupt or missing rollback segment.
If at first you do not succeed. Destroy all evidence that you even attempted.
Steve Slade
Frequent Advisor

oops please read dbv instead of db_verify in last message - brain has slipped off the rails.
If at first you do not succeed. Destroy all evidence that you even attempted.