New Discussion юеВ

Re: Running a commmand at startup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dermot Beirne
Frequent Advisor

Running a commmand at startup

Hi,
I have been adding commands to startup with various levels of success on HpUX 10.20.
I find it difficult to find straightforward info on creating a file into which I can put a list of commands to be run at system startup. Can someone summarise the process for me so that I can put this to bed.
Thanks a lot.
DJ.
Happy is harder than money. Anyone who thinks money will make them happy, doesn't have money.
5 REPLIES 5
eran maor
Honored Contributor

love computers
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

Hi
The below link may be useful to you.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/os/boot.html

..BPK...
Dave Kelly_1
Respected Contributor
Solution

/sbin/init.d/template is the basis for creating startup files.

Take a copy of it and call it something unique. Edit this new file according to the instructions.

In /sbin/rc#.d, where # is a number representing the init run level, you need to create a symbolic link to the file in /sbin/init.d such that the startup file is called S###name and the shutdown file is called K###name. It is likely that you will have the S### file in one run level and the K### in another.

### is a number indicating the order in which the file is called at startup/shutdown.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Dermot:

The best white paper on startup and shutdown scripts is given below. It is relatively short and a *must* read if you are to understand the process:

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/os/startup.pdf

Regards!

...JRF...
Dermot Beirne
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all your help with this.
Points shall be duely distributed!
Happy is harder than money. Anyone who thinks money will make them happy, doesn't have money.