108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Running three OS's ???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian Hartley
Occasional Contributor

Running three OS's ???

I have a HP Pavillion 8770c. I am currently running Windows 2000 and windows 98 se. My windows 98 is on partition C:/, and windows 2000 is on Partition D:/.
I have my partition E:/ as 20 gigs and Partition f:/ as another 20 gig. I was wondering if there was anyway to Load linux onto partition E:/ or F:/ and still keep both Windows ? ? ? Is there any way to update the boot record for it once linux is loaded ? If anyone could help me that would be great. or email me @ ZzTORNADOzZ@msn.com
Thnaks Brian
5 REPLIES 5
Paulo A G Fessel
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Surely you can do this.

I would create an extended partition on /dev/hda3 (which you call "E:\") and then inside this extended partition create root, swap and other filesystems if you want to (/usr, /home, /var...).

I don't know what distribution you're planning to use, but AFAIK Mandrake and Redhat will do things exactly the way I described to you.

After the installation, you will then use Lilo (it's simpler) to boot all O.S's. You can also use a dedicated bootloader called XOSL (http://www.xosl.org) to choose which O.S. to boot. XOSL has a very nice interface, I think you'll prefer it over Lilo.

Good Luck!

Paulo Fessel
L'employ├Г┬й propose, le boss dispose.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
The way to go is described in the answer before. IMHO i would go for grub as boot manager.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

This is definitely doable. I am currently running Window NT, Windows 2000 and Linux on the same machine (different partitions of course). Also, there are lots of howtos on how to set up dual/triple/multi-boot machines.

Hope this helps.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Hello Brian.

One sidenote: Try GRUB as the bootloader. It's nice and easy. RedHat 7.2 for instance configures it nicely for you.

Regards,
Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.
Brian Hartley
Occasional Contributor

Is there anyway someone can kinda walk me through the install process for linux. I need like a list of all the programs and tools needed to completly install everything.
With the Xosl boot manager can i install that on the E:/ drive with linux ? Or should I split the E:/ drive into two ? Or can I install it with windows 98. I really want to get this done and have the least complications as possible. Also what version of linux would you recommend for a "newbie" ?
Red hat, Mandrake, or ? ? Im Pretty good with windows and everything but am kinda hesitant to install it without knowing everything. So if anyone could help me with a list of everything needed for this, I would greatly appreciate it. Also Has any one had problems finding drivers for there HP 8770c ? ? Like sound card, modem, ethernet card, and video card. I have a Ati all in wonder 32 mb I was thinking of putting in, so i also need to know if they have a linux driver for that. Thanks Everyone for your responses.
Brian
Or you can E mail me with everything at ZzTORNADOzZ@msn.com