5308 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SAM schedule backup

ng_7
Regular Advisor

SAM schedule backup

Hi, all,
the SAM schedule backup task does not print to screen, thus, i don't know the system prompt for second tape, I only get to know this message from /var/mail/root. and my \var\sam\log\br_log is shown exit code =2, please refer to attachment for my setting and my log file .
my question : how to make SAM schedule backup to print on screen
: how to extent the time expired for second tape.

Thank you very much.
Ng
12 REPLIES 12
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Re: SAM schedule backup

Hi,

I don't know if I understand your problem right: you say you can't see the message 'enter ...' but the message is on your first screenshot ...
or are you trying to run this as a cron job?
With cron I don't think that you can interact with the process, so you can't say 'yes' after changing the tape.

For your backup informations:
Can you make a long listing 'ls -al' of your var\sam\log directory?

Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
ng_7
Regular Advisor

thank you for your quick response
the message 'enter...' is in my log file instead of my screen, I am doing my backup via SAM schedule backup, you mean there is no way to interact with the process ? is there any script that i could modify to change the message output format ?
thanks

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

this message you can see if you use the SAM GUI, but SAM is opening a new window to show this. As you're using telnet, I suppose you're using the terminal version of SAM ...
I think it's better than to use the plain 'fbackup' command. In verbose mode you'll get the message.

And your br_index.full log is 2MB so there have to be more inside than the 8 lines you've listed. Check it again.

HTH
Volkmar
ng_7
Regular Advisor

hi, this backup setting is actually done in my console SAM, i telnet to SAM to get the print shot for you guy. I 've actually try fbackup command before and schedule it in crontab, but it doesn't prompt out for second type, that is why i try to use SAM, but SAM schedule backup seems to be the same problem with fbackup in cron - didn't prompt for second tape, i wonder if there is any workaround where i can schedule backup and with message prompt out for second tape on screen. regarding size for br_index.full , you are right , i did'nt paste the up to date one for you, apologize for my negligence.
thank you .
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what hardware and os do you use?
I've no experience with console login, I'm always logged in directly.
You should get a message window if you start fbackup interactively - see my screenshot.

Maybe SAM have to be patched?

Sorry
Volkmar
ng_7
Regular Advisor

thanks for your quick response, my OS = hpux11i, server : HP-UX PA-RISC (64bit)

is there any work around on my problem ?
thanks
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

do you have similar windows like I?
How do you start SAM backup?

What does 'swlist -l fileset|grep SAM' says?

V.
ng_7
Regular Advisor

Hi Volkmar,

I don't have similar like you , but i do try on interactive backup and it is working fine, but i still need to schedule run at midnight because doing backup during working hour will slow down all other process due to my server capacity limitation.

below are the steps to do my SAM backup :
Backup and Recovery -> Automated Backup -> Action -> Add an Automated Backup->local backup Device -> then I specify my backup device (/dev/rmt/0m) , backup scope, backup time and set mail desctination.

please refer to attachment for my swlist.

thank you very much

ng

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

as I said in my first reply, you can├В┬┤t interact with cron jobs ... maybe a script shall work, but I haven├В┬┤t tried this.

V.