Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMBA

Ron Cornwell
Trusted Contributor

SAMBA

Does anyone know where I can get the source code for winbind. At the SAMBA ftp servers they only have the rpm and I want to be able to compile and specific where it goes. Thanks
7 REPLIES
Enno Baars
Advisor

Re: SAMBA

You can get the SAMBA source code at any samba ftp server, e.g.

ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/samba-2.2.1a.tar.gz

Cheers,

Enno.
Oh God, I hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it! It never does that what I mean but only what I tell it.
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello Ron,

It seems that winbind is included in a package named "samba-appliance". The binary and source RPMs can be downloaded on the samba ftp site or any mirror :

ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/appliance/

Good luck

Kodjo

P.S. Don't forget to rate this answer (1..10).
Learn and explain...
Ron Cornwell
Trusted Contributor

To clarify I am looking for source I can compile not and rpm or any other type of binary port.

Try this, it doesn't seem to be an RPM:

ftp://pserver.samba.org/pub/unpacked/tarballs/samba-head-snapshot.tar.gz

This should include all the source, man, docs and supporting info on winbind.

You were right though, it took a while to find.

Let me know if this is the one you needed.

Good luck.
Enno Baars
Advisor

The link I gave you before:

ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/samba-2.2.1a.tar.gz

does in fact contain a complete source code distribution - no precompiled stuff in there!

Just ungzip and untar the file and look under ./source/nmbd - that's where you'll find the "winbind" source code.

Cheers,

Enno.

Oh God, I hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it! It never does that what I mean but only what I tell it.
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello Ron,

I think that your miss something.

RPM stands for "RedHat Package Manager". It can contains binary package, source code, documentation, or anything the builder decided to put inside it.

The URL I indicated to you :

ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/appliance/samba-appliance-0.5-1.src.rpm

points to a RPM that contains the source code. After the RPM installed, the source code (in .tar.gz format) is located in /usr/src/RedHat/SOURCES/... or /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/...

Good luck.

Kodjo

P.S. Don't forget to rate this answer (from 1 to 10).

Learn and explain...
Christian Schulze
Regular Advisor

has anybody samba and winbind running under HPUX 11 ?

I'm especially interested in winbinds functionality of obtaining user and group permissions of the Windows PDC.

Christian
never touch a running system