108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SAMBA

SOLVED
Go to solution
john guardian
Super Advisor

SAMBA

Never seen samba on HP, though I know it's used.

Anyone with samba on their UX machine: what variant of the swlist command is best to use and what would the command query and system response look like?

Any help appreciated.

Thx.
5 REPLIES 5
DogBytes
Valued Contributor

Re: SAMBA

Try swlist with "cifs". For example:

swlist -l product|grep -i cifs
CIFS-Client A.02.02.02 HP CIFS Client
CIFS-Development A.02.04 HP CIFS Server Source Code Files
CIFS-Server A.02.04 HP CIFS Server (Samba) File and Print Services

Regards,

- R.
john guardian
Super Advisor

R,

So for the most part, you're saying that CIFS is HP's SAMBA (I know the package exists, never used it though).

Can you think of any reason why someone would want to use a version of SAMBA (3rd party) that didn't ship as part of the HP CD/DVD distro?

Thx.
DogBytes
Valued Contributor
Solution

Perhaps the third party version has new features that haven't made it to the HP release? Or maybe to be consistent across multiple O/S platforms? I prefer to use HP's product and patch accordingly.
eric roseme
Respected Contributor

HP CIFS Server version A.02.04 is the current fully supported version (by the RC and WTEC). It is based upon Samba 3.0.30 with backported fixes from 3.0.31-34. HP CIFS Server also has enhancements, including the CFSM (integrated locking with local processes and NFS) and various performance improvements. Also, there is Access Control List integration from your Windows client, integrated HA (ServiceGuard), and pre-packaged swinstall installation.

Opensource Samba is currently developing branch 3.4, so the starting source is much more current with Samba development. Compiling your own Samba version will allow better tracking of Samba source, but will lose HP support and HP enhancements.

eric
john guardian
Super Advisor

Thx!