4164 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SAP transport abort sig received from OS

Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

SAP transport abort sig received from OS

Hello again,

first I have to apologize for the misposting of my last question, an obvious system administration issue in the database section. :-/
So I was lucky to have an immediate response from the system wizards despite.
Seems they scour every field.

Now to my database question.
We have Oracle/SAP DBMS running on the HP-UX boxes.
From the dba I received a call inquiring about an error reported from a transport.

I hear they are doing lots of transports in SAP. Somehow they have to keep their 6+ replication servers busy to justify the spendings. ;-)

The prog seems to be "tp" and the error it threw is roughly:
(heard it only cited on the phone)

"tp: terminate on signal 6 from OS"

Well, from "kill -l" I know that SIG 6 corrosponds to an Abort signal on our HP-UX boxes.

Has anyone an idea who or what may have sent the abort signal to the transport process?

Is there a way to trace it in retrospect?

I haven't yet come to know all of the SAP logfiles.
Seems they keep me ignorant here.

Madness, thy name is system administration
6 REPLIES 6
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: SAP transport abort sig received from OS

Difficult problem. A SIGABRT should have caused the tp process to core dump. So by examining the core (your developers/DBA's should be able to do this also) you should get a much better idea what caused it - if you can find the core file!
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Stefan,

sorry, for the late response.
I simply lost this thread.
Meanwhile the issue is obsolete, and the error has never appeared ever since.
The core file (if it ever existed) may have been eradicated by my filesystem core scanner run as a cronjob.
Since we have no developers here luckily core files are dumped only every now and then when an application misbehaves.
BTW, does it work to prevent core files by creating a symbolic link to /dev/null from a 0-Byte touched core file in a directory?
Somewhere in this forum I also noticed the hint to make it read-only.
Madness, thy name is system administration
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Ralph:

To prevent a core file from being created, you can touch a file named 'core' in the directory or directories in which you don't want to have them created. Change the permissions to read-only and you will leave only a 0-byte file.

...JRF...
Emilio Sierra
Advisor

I found the OSS Note Number 0034395 with the next content:

rc/1000=6: The target system is not defined, e.g. rc=6004 means that the R3trans export wrote warnings, but the target system was not defined in the TPPARAM transport profile.

Hope help you

Ess
Emilio Sierra
Advisor

rc/1000=6: The target system is not defined, e.g. rc=6004 means that the R3trans export wrote warnings, but the target system was not defined in the TPPARAM transport profile.

Hope help you

Ess
Emilio Sierra
Advisor

Hope help you

Ess