New Discussion юеВ

SCO Openserver to Linux Migration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Praphul Menon_1
Occasional Contributor

SCO Openserver to Linux Migration

Hi,
I am looking forward to hearing experiences that anyone might have had in migrating C/C++ code from SCO OpenServer to RedHat Linux ES 3.x. I am specifically interested in the platform incompatibilities, API and command differences, compiler issues etc.

regards

Praphul.
12 REPLIES 12
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Re: SCO Openserver to Linux Migration

I have heard a few thins second hand.

Every c/c++ compiler has its little issues.

What my friends have told is thus:

1) You need to do this as a two server migration. The applicaation needs to be available on the SCO(boo) server while you test and debug the conversion.
2) Draw up an application test plan that tests every relavent applications function. There will be coding changes needed in most cases.

The OS itself is different, and inspite of what SCO claims Linux is not using their code. The kernel is different and every command right down to ps may have different command line parameters and behaviors.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Vernon Brown_4
Trusted Contributor

I made a horse race handicapping application using c++ on RedHat Linux 6.1; recompiled it on Windows using M$ Visual C++ and put a GUI wrapper around it; then I tried to compile it on SuSE 9. No success with SuSE; errors in the linker.

However, I later compiled it on RedHat 7.1, and now on Fedora Core 1, and it works without a hitch. So, I'm guessing the the migration to the ES 3.x will go smoothly.

Vern
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

If your application is using standard interfaces and libraries, then there should be very few issues.

If your application is doing extensive IO calls (disk, serial, etc.), then there will be some conversion required.

If your application uses TC/IP directly, then there will be some minor conversions.

All in all, the failures become blatently obvious when you compile the first time. Most of them have easy work-arounds (hell, create your own library to wrap the OSR library calls if you don't want to change your own code too much), but it's entirely do-able.

Just look at the ABI code for some of the differences.

I've not personally done it with C/C++ code, but have with a few other languages.
One long-haired git at your service...
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Hi Praphul,

We've just completed exactly the same project, although we ported to SuSE, but it's the same tools!

I know we had a number of problems porting from SCO's ANSI C compiler to GNU's C compiler.

Can you let me know what compiler in SCO you were using and I'll ask our R&D guys what the big issues were. Might take a couple of days as they're awol at the mo, but should save you time finding out the headaches from someone else!

Mike
Praphul Menon_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the responses ...
Michael, in our case, the information I have right now says that the C/C++ compiler is SCO default ( i really don't know what that means), i am assuming it to be gcc and awaiting clarification from the customer ...
But, anyways, it would be really helpful for us if you could share u'r experiences either on the forum or off-line ...

warm regards

Praphul.
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Hi Praphul,

I've spoken with our R&D guys who have in fact written a document discussing the tricks porting between the two, unfortunately it does contain some company confidential code, so can't go out in its' current form.

I will have a word with our R&D director when he returns on Monday to see if they're prepared to release it in an edited form.

Mike
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

OpenServer by default has no compile incorporated with the system.

The install media has a development system installation on it as well, which includes it's own 'cc' and development tools.

There are GNU equivalents for all of them.

Using 'gcc' in place of the OSR 'cc' is acceptable in 99% of cases. In that last 1%, it's just small code changes to fix.

I remembered a few small C projects I have on OSR. They all cross-compile on Linux as well. But they are all very simple file IO and interface routines.
One long-haired git at your service...
Praphul Menon_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
Stuart, even i had an indication that the compiler on the source platform was 'cc', but can't re-confirm that, anyways thanks for your inputs ...
mike, i'll look forward to u'r posting next week ...

regards

Praphul.
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Hi Praphul,

I haven't forgotten about this, our company has agreed in principle to release this document to the community but is reviewing the document to ensure we don't release any IP along with it!!

Mike