1753672 Members
5387 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI timeout on raw devices never happens

Augustas Gutautas

SCSI timeout on raw devices never happens

Hello,

we are testing Oracle RAC with ASM configured with Normal redundancy with two EMC Symmetrix DMX-3 storage arrays. All Oracle database's datafiles are placed on ASM disks which are separated into two failure groups. When one of the storage arrays are turned off (for testing) the Oracle database seems to 'hang' - it produces no errors but queries 'hang' and wait for output from scsi disks which are offline.
The problem probably lies in HP-UX scsi configuration which does not escalate an I/O error to upper layers when offlined scsi disks are accessed. It queues infinitely all the requests. When the offlined storage is up again the Oracle database operates as usual and all the 'hung' queries continue and produce an expected output.
How the scsi parameters of HP-UX may be changed to report an I/O error to upper layers?

HP-UX version 11.23 (Itanium)

Augustas
3 REPLIES 3
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Can you explain what you mean by Normal redundancy?
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Augustas Gutautas

Hi,

Normal redundancy in Oracle ASM means that Oracle software makes a mirror of data between two storages.

Augustas
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Augustas,

Check Metalink Note 419014.1 and 303760.1

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes

Each and every day is a good day to learn.