5132 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SGA oracle

MUFTI Rachid
Frequent Advisor

SGA oracle

hello guys

I would like to know how much SGA size I have to put for a 2 Go oracle database whith 2 users connected.

thanks.

RM
5 REPLIES 5
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
oracle recommends 256 MB for 8i to work . since you have 2GB. it than more sufficient.

never give up
MUFTI Rachid
Frequent Advisor

thanks ravi,

Do u know why ? it's for a 8.1.5.32 oracle database.

RM.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Try the attached file and play around a bit.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it depends on what you want:
- 50MB might be enough to get it up and running (or crawling)
- over 512MB might be to little to reach lightning speed (maximum allocation to db_block_buffers).

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Oracle's SGA is the 'play area' for Oracle...lots of uses, but most revolve around in-core caches for data and indexes. Disk is 100 times slower than memory so the more disk accesses you can avoid, the better.

Now the choice as to how big and how to divide the space is the 'art' of the DBA. I know of a large book reseller that use 8,000 megs of SGA so that a complete index to most every book in every store is in RAM. The result is instant response to inventory locations.

If you have a lot more time than money for RAM, a small SGA is just fine. Just like small RAM (less than 1000 megs) makes server appear to run very slow, small SGA areas will make 1 second transactions turn into 1 minute transaactions, but as any DBA will say: Your mileage may vary.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin