Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLES 8 on ML 530

jedd
Advisor

SLES 8 on ML 530

Hello all,
i am running SUSE Enterprise 8 with kernel 2.4.19-340. right now, i am having some errors with determing if my apps are seeing the Intel Xeon HT CPU's. from my top output, i only see 1 CPU being utilized at about 80% while the rest are idle. sometimes if i'm lucky, the 2nd one will kick in. but not all 4 are being utilized, i have read some stuff in google, that needs to recompile kernel, after making modifications in Makefile of /usr/src/Linux. i really don't want to do that, esp. with my apps running on the servers. anybody else have any suggestions.
i run the same apps on a windows platfrom on the same hardware and all the CPU's are utilized at about 70% when i run the apps.
thanks for the help
2 REPLIES
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Re: SLES 8 on ML 530

There's a couple of things you might want to try here, firstly, you're using an old kernel that comes with SLES8, try upgrading to the latest using Up2Date in Yast2 (if you've subscribed to the maintenance pack - highly recommended).

Additionally, can you confirm that you're using the smp kernel:

michaelw@linpo: uname -r
2.4.19-64GB-SMP
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: SLES 8 on ML 530

The other thing could be that the application you are running isn't multi-threaded, thus the one thread starts on a given CPU, and just stays there.

Interbase (running in SuperServer mode) is one such application.

What areyou running?
One long-haired git at your service...