108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SLES8 on hp dc7100s

SOLVED
Go to solution
andy_183

SLES8 on hp dc7100s

hello experts !

I am trying to install SLES8 on an HP dc7100s but the installation stalls - it looks like the SATA HD is not recognised (I've happily been putting SLES8 on HP d530's & d510's to date no problem)
Would any of you be able to point me in the correct direction ? Do I need to have the entire SLES8/UL1.0 SP3 or is there a more specific solution ?
Thank you for your help
6 REPLIES 6
R. Sri Ram Kishore_1
Respected Contributor

Re: SLES8 on hp dc7100s

Hi,

Check if this link helps:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=686376

Regards,
Sri Ram
"What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator."
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Having written loads of gubbins about a DL380G4 on a similar subject, it almost certainly looks driver related.

Unfortunately the only supported OS's on the DC7100 is Windows 2000 & XP.

Your best bet would be to load one of these OS's and find out the name of the controller/disks and then try and attempt to download drivers for it.

That said, the DL360G4 can be a SATA based system and there are no drivers available to download on that site... So it doesn't look too good I'm afraid..!
andy_183

thank you both for your replies.

Further to this situation you may be interested to know - I attempted to load SUSE 9.1 Professional - it seemed to acknowledge the SATA drive - but unfortunately I cannot use it - my ultimate goal is the installation of an Oracle 8.1.7 database on the machine & unfortunately this combination is not accredited by Oracle.
Next step was to use RedHat AS3_U2 - this recognised the SATA drive and installed as required - the only downside being the recognition of the network card.
With both SLES8 & SUSE 9.1 Prof the installation recognises the fact that the onboard Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5700 card is there - it just refuses to have anything to do with it.....with RH AS3_U2 it doesn't even register the fact that the (Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5700 ? I'm assuming) network card is there.......so 1 step forward & 1 step back...

Anyway - I would still prefer to go with SUSE SLES8 - as I have done a few other machines with that and have the Oracle Installation....so hopefully if I can get my hands on the SLES8 SP3 I may have a chance of the SATA drivers being included. The only suggestion if have had so far to obtain the SLES SP3 patch is to buy a new copy of SLES8 @ ├В┬г580 + VAT
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi there, you should find the Broadcom drivers for RH3 here:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locOsCat/101_58.html

With regards to SLES, I'd strongly urge you to upgrade to SLES9, it's got the 2.6 kernel and YaST2 has had a major up-lift with a lot more configuration options available in the GUI. Additionally the default install installs virtually nothing, only the components you actually need. SLES8 installed loads of gubbins that could cause problems with security.

It's also much more likely to have drivers straight out of the box.

However, if you wish to persevere with SLES8, then assuming you have a valid Maintenance License, you can download it from SuSE's website here:

http://portal.suse.com/psdb/7aa52f839a1d990d9bed33b317ddf8a3.html

This may help you, but I think you'll still need to identify the model of sata controller and download a linux driver for it I'm afraid...

Mike
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

And by "download it", I meant you can download SP3 from SuSE's website...!

D'oh!
andy_183

Mr Williams,

Once again - thank you for your reply - I read your original post on the DL380 - it gave me good pointers.
Unfortunately I am in the unenviable position of not having a maintenance agreement with SUSE - we bought the original product some time ago - meanwhile I have been happily using it on D510 & D530 machines with no problem apart from the Broadcom card operation.
Thanks for the link to the Broadcom drivers - I have already lived through that battle & obtained the same from Broadcom.
I have been trying to find out from both SUSE & a SUSE partner/reseller how to renew the maintenance agreement so I could get SP3 - I'm still waiting to find out......it seems to be hard for them to tell me! Now I have a new question for them - how do I upgrade from SLES8 to SLES9 - that should be fun!
Now if I could just find someone with the SP3 patch........