Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP trap in case of root login on hpux managed system

SOLVED
Go to solution
LukaS_9
Regular Advisor

SNMP trap in case of root login on hpux managed system

I would like SIM to receive an SNMP trap in case of root login over hpux managed systems.
Is it possible setting a MIB? And How?
Consider that I'm not so familiar with MIBs.
Be detailed and patient please :)

Luca
5 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: SNMP trap in case of root login on hpux managed system

I don't think this is a standard SNMP function.

Something like this **might** be possible by writing your own custom PAM authentication module. PAM is configured through the /etc/pam.conf file. If you look at that file you can see what modules are used for various functions. More information on /etc/pam.conf if available from the man page (man pam.conf).

Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

I would take another approach.. Whenever somebody logs on /etc/profile is executed. You could put some logic in there to send email or a snmp trap when root logs on. Most snmp trap commands only require a trap number and a destination to send a trap. Unfortunately I do not think HP-UX shops with a snmp trap command unless you have a openview agent on the system. There are open source SNMP trap commands you can get and compile to accomplish this.

LukaS_9
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your replyes!
Is there a way to send a trap in /etc/profile using the command below?
/etc/opt/resmon/lbin/send_test_event -a

The question is: is there a monitor able to send this specific trap?

luca

p.s. still be patient :)
Jens Keinath
Occasional Visitor
Solution

You can use net-snmp to send SNMP Traps. The net-snmp is available for HP-UX as part of the HP-UX Internet Express components. We use it successfully on HP-UX 11i.

See
http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPUXIEXP1111
and
http://www.net-snmp.org
for more information.
LukaS_9
Regular Advisor

thank you,
I will take a look of these tools!!

regards
Luca